Renthal Clip ons and drilling

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagpuss

Reaction score
Evening all, I'm fitting some Renthal Clip ons and have had a paranoia attack as they come with a 'do not drill' warning as they're thin wall race tubes.

Have others drilled with no issues?

If you haven't drilled how did you get round securing the switch housings and in particular the throttle side so nothingh slipped?

Thanks for the help.

IMO,there isn't really any other way but to drill them.I drilled mine(renthal gen2) and,after a big off they actually broke at the fork mounting-not where they had been drilled.

IMO,there isn't really any other way but to drill them.I drilled mine(renthal gen2) and,after a big off they actually broke at the fork mounting-not where they had been drilled.

Great reply and what I was hoping for, drilled all other non renthal clip ons but seeing the red sticker saying don't drill threw me, crash tested too so more than happy to drill away now.

Thanks for the reply and testing!

Clip-ons

I had to drill my alpha Racing clip-ons to fit them. Regardless of what brand you really don't have any choice but to drill them.

Clip-ons

Just make sure that you drill them in the right place!

In actually fact,the weak spot on the Renthal Gen2 is where they mount on the stub of the fork clamp-there are two parallel fixing holes!

Even these survived on mine-the stub broke off instead!!!

The stupid thing is,whilst you can buy replacement clip-on tubes,you can't buy the fork mount separately! (IMO still the best clip-ons though).

In actually fact,the weak spot on the Renthal Gen2 is where they mount on the stub of the fork clamp-there are two parallel fixing holes!

Even these survived on mine-the stub broke off instead!!!

The stupid thing is,whilst you can buy replacement clip-on tubes,you can't buy the fork mount separately! (IMO still the best clip-ons though).

Actually,I think they may be Gen3.

Clip-ons

I've been really impressed with my alpha Racing clip-ons and every part is replaceable. I've only ever crashed onboard the BMW with the OEM bars fitted and they are absolutely rubbish.

Re: Clip-ons

I'll let you know how I get on drilling tomorrow night, done a dry fit of everything tonight to make sure everything clears race faring and I'm happy with switch gear location etc. Next is the faffing about to mark the tube properly without losing the positioning I want.

I take it there's no issues tightening up to the correct torque and undoing the tubes a couple of times?

I didn't see anything in the destructions about it.

Clip-ons

Providing you use the correct torque values you should be fine. After all they are designed to be removed quickly, refitted and adjusted.

Re: Clip-ons

I've been really impressed with my alpha Racing clip-ons and every part is replaceable. I've only ever crashed onboard the BMW with the OEM bars fitted and they are absolutely rubbish.

The biggest problem with the OE bars is,should you have an off,the clamp can crease the fork tube.

Clip-ons

The biggest problem with the OE bars is,should you have an off,the clamp can crease the fork tube.

I was fortunate as my OEM clip-ons just rotated around the fork leg. They did however bend far too easily and I'm glad I've replaced them for aftermarket clip-ons.

What exactly is the advantage of clip ons apart from being stronger than the original?
Do they give you more leverage as you are able to adjust them to suit your riding position?
If you fit clip ons, do you have to change all the switch gear, if so what do you fit?
I'm Seriously considering changing my bike to track only as I just don't enjoy the road anymore.
Ive already got a second set of complete HP wheels, got some racing bodywork lined up, bought an Acrapovic and my first set of slicks.
Slowly buying things as and when they come up!

What exactly is the advantage of clip ons apart from being stronger than the original?
Do they give you more leverage as you are able to adjust them to suit your riding position?
If you fit clip ons, do you have to change all the switch gear, if so what do you fit?
I'm Seriously considering changing my bike to track only as I just don't enjoy the road anymore.
Ive already got a second set of complete HP wheels, got some racing bodywork lined up, bought an Acrapovic and my first set of slicks.
Slowly buying things as and when they come up!

+1000

If they help with leverage I'll consider them next year. Other half is more and more against road riding and happier for me to use it as a track slag only (seems a waste to me).

Clip-ons

The main benefits of aftermarket clip-ons for track use are they are normally fully adjustable and you can replace individual parts like clamps and fork tubes. Most products from the leading brands (alpha Racing, Renthal etc) will accommodate the OEM switchgear. In my opinion they are an essential purchase if you have a track only bike or are racing.

On the Renthal gen3 the fork clamp has a solid stub which fits inside the clip-on tube,held by two countersunk hex screws.Mine snapped the stub at the threaded drillings in the stub-surprisingly not on the tube between the drillings!
The main advantage with the gen3 is that they fit in more or less the same place as OE,as opposed to the normal clamp with the tube fixing in front of the fork tube,which tends to give more forward adjustment without fouling.And also their extreme lightness.
Incidentally.as used by Tyco and numerous other race teams.

Just noticed there is a recall on Renthal Gen1 and Gen2(mine are actually Gen2).
Free replacement to gen3.

I always thought they were a bit suspect.
Oh well,heres to some hasty returns and hope the turnaround is quick!

Clip-ons

You can't beat a free upgrade! Renthal have always been pretty quick whenever I've dealt with them directly.

Latest posts

Back