rear axle nut replace or not ?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All

im preparing to change front ,rear sprocket and chain aswell .today i receive lightech chain adjuster so now im wondering about replace rear axle nut .... but question is what to choose .. aluminium ? stainess steal or titanium ??

did any one have any bad or good experience with it ?

i will appreciate all comments ;)

Hi All

im preparing to change front ,rear sprocket and chain aswell .today i receive lightech chain adjuster so now im wondering about replace rear axle nut .... but question is what to choose .. aluminium ? stainess steal or titanium ??

did any one have any bad or good experience with it ?

i will appreciate all comments ;)
I got ti with no issues

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Let me rephrase that.. i "had" ti with no issues

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I wouldnt buy ali personally as the torque is high and I dont know I’d trust it. I have used the ti gilles nut and it is a nice bit of bling, plus it weighs a lot less the oe steel.

I wouldnt buy ali personally as the torque is high and I dont know I?d trust it. I have used the ti gilles nut and it is a nice bit of bling, plus it weighs a lot less the oe steel.
Ditto that.
I have a ProBolt. RaceBolt supply them as well.

- Alex

Funnily enough I just bought a gilles titanium nut to go with some new lightech adjusters. I bought some Loctite 8009 anti-seize to protect against any galling since the axle is steel, the nut is titanium and the chain adjuster plate is aluminium. I reduced the torque to 80nm to account for the lube. Checking the clamp after 300 miles. Seems good so far. Pop a dab of ACF-50 on the adjuster nuts btw. Saves they getting crappy.

Is that the main benefit looks and weight reduce of replacing the axle nut?

...and also the oe nut uses mechanical locking, which has been reported in a few cases to damage the rear axle thread after lots of use. It is a good excuse if nothing else :).

mmmm...reading this with interest. I want to replace my rear axle shaft because it got dinged by something, although nothing around it managed to get hit (even though it protrudes only slightly from the nut). Been looking for a 2nd hand axle shaft for a while, no one ever seems to have one, so was going to talk to Tim @ Lind for a price on a new one (unless anyone knows likely place to find one, only ones on eBay are US only delivery).

From what you've said Soof, might be an idea (however frivolous...) to replace the nut when I do this, so I'm pairing new with new?

mmmm...reading this with interest. I want to replace my rear axle shaft because it got dinged by something, although nothing around it managed to get hit (even though it protrudes only slightly from the nut). Been looking for a 2nd hand axle shaft for a while, no one ever seems to have one, so was going to talk to Tim @ Lind for a price on a new one (unless anyone knows likely place to find one, only ones on eBay are US only delivery).

From what you've said Soof, might be an idea (however frivolous...) to replace the nut when I do this, so I'm pairing new with new?

For the cost of a nut I'd say yes. I would be weary of any used rear axles and stick with new, you never know for sure the history and a hairline crack or thread deformity would be hard if not impossible to spot.

Thanks guys for all opinions ;) I will go in TI ;)
I was considered alumnium but You gives me right answer ;) maybe TI is more expensive but give me peace of mind and some ? bling ? for my bike ;)

Many thanks

I would never use aluminium on anything that needs to be secure I.e torqued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could try these for second hand parts https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=1&NU=10

Latest posts

Back