Racetecs - Advice on Which Compounds§

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoops

Reaction score
Hi - im going to be doing some track days this year and im hoping to get my ACU licence in March up at Cadwell.

I used to use Racetecs but ive forgotten what compound front and rear was the best set up/compromise.

Bike is a BMW S1000RR Sport - im not looking for slicks but fast road/track tyres - am i correct in thinking it should be K1 (soft) at the front and K2 (medium) at the rear?

And is it Racetec INTERACT that i need to look for? Is this the latest technology from Metzeler??

Finally, i would rather buy a brand new set so can anyone recommend the cheapest place to get them from?

All help and advice much appreciated.

If you want a fast road / track tyre the K3 would more than suffice but if you want to set lap records the softer K1 on the front and the medium K2 rear is the norm. You're right they are Racetec Interacts. I use FWR in SE1 for my tyres always a good stock and reasonable prices or see what the tyre mans got at your next track day.

Thank you fella - ive currently got a set of K3's front and rear on the bike but theyre quite worn and flattened in the middle from road riding i assume - and although im far from a record setter i would still prefer the best set up possible even if it sacrifices tyre longevity/wear etc.
I will give FWR a call - funnily enough i used to be very friendly with Bob from FWR (not sure if he is still racing) but ive lost his mobile number when i lost my phone end of last year - but he supplied me with my last set of tyres for my last track bike - must try and get back in touch with the crazy fella!!

for track you want k1 front and k2 rear.the k3's are ok for general road work but i wouldnt want them on track.the rear will wear a little quicker on the road but the k1 front will still do 2 rears.

Thanks for advice guys - i now remember that was the configuration i used before on last years track bike - K1 front and K2 rear - so we do the same again.

Ive just managed to get back in touch with my old mate Bob Collins from FWR so have asked him to order me some. My only concern is whether i will be able to get the heat into them at Cadwell on March 22nd if its as cold then as it is now?? And if the track is damp or wet i will be buggered!!!!

I used K3's for about 6 TD's last year with no problem at all.

Personal choice and feel i guess - my bike had K3's on it when i bought it from original owner - if they hadnt been flat spotted i would have tried them out on track for sure but they didnt inspire confidence on close inspection - my only concern with going for the K1 and K2 this time of year is whether i will be able to generate and sustain enough heat into them to make them work properly for me??

To be honest mate, this time of year, you really don't want to be riding on circuit at all. I was instructing at a very cold and dangerouse Cadwell Park weekend just gone. The best tyres all day were wets. Even when it dried out, wet tyres were the best as the track temp was below zero. We had a wind chill factor of -5 too.

In the summer go for a K2 front K2 rear. I'm sure that will do you fine.

Totally agree with you Hopper - and i wouldnt be other than the fact im booked to do my ACU race licence on March 22nd at Cadwell - if it was just a track day i wouldnt be at all bothered about going but i want to get my licence application sorted and done asap. If its raining then i wont go out, end of - but now i dont know what to do about tyres? I dont even own any wets!! Or spare wheels for a different set of tyres so i have a choice on the day. Im buggered!!

You don't need to do an on track assessment if you hold a full bike licence. Just the class room stuff

I have K3's on the bmw and 600cc trackbike and love em...not really sure if I will use K3's again on the beemer trackbike or go for full slicks as it won't be going back on the road. They're all around the same money too.

Im also very tempted to try slicks for the first time this year - when the weather warms up of course - but very keen to see what its like riding on slicks - ive heard the main noticeable difference is under heavy braking - inspires more confidence due to the extra grip levels - just means i have to buy some tyre warmers now too!!

Slicks are no good if you can't keep the heat in them. It's all good buying warmers, but if your not fast enough to keep the heat in, you'll be on your bum extremely quickly.

Tbh, I'd stick with Racetecs until you feel the need for more grip. Then give slicks a go

Slicks are no good if you can't keep the heat in them. It's all good buying warmers, but if your not fast enough to keep the heat in, you'll be on your bum extremely quickly.

Tbh, I'd stick with Racetecs until you feel the need for more grip. Then give slicks a go

Totally agree and understand. Just to verify, ive certainly no intention of getting slicks fitted for Cadwell, obviously!! Im still unsure as to what to get fitted for Cadwell yet. Ive ridden on track many times with the Racetecs and always used the K1/K2 set up - i ride in the fast group and at familiar tracks and when im dialled in i more than hold my own - my concern is and was with riding at Cadwell in cold and possibly damp conditions when im not so confident at that track at the best of times.

I would hate to sound boastful but im confident that with my riding/track ability and experience i could easily get the requisite amount of heat into a set of slicks as and when i get around to buying a set. But i take on board your comment.

All good points mentioned above! :) I'm going to be soo rusty when I get back on a bike, have decided to plump for K3's again, as I get on well with those. :D

Im also going to stick to the K3's that are already on the bike - albeit they are worn and flattened - so will need to round them off on track before dialling in. And take your point about being rusty - but that said you soon get back in the groove pretty quick (providing you keep it shiny side up!!)

I shall be persevering with the Pirelli DRCs I have fitted as I am tight and can't see the canvas yet.

Im also going to stick to the K3's that are already on the bike - albeit they are worn and flattened - so will need to round them off on track before dialling in. And take your point about being rusty - but that said you soon get back in the groove pretty quick (providing you keep it shiny side up!!)

I'm rusty from an accident last Aug, not been able to ride since. ;)

Going to try the k1/2 this year as its mainly track bike now, regarding keeping temp up on slicks is there not various compounds? The 'amateur' slicker has to start somewhere....

Back