race/gp shift. what do people ues?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reverse Shift Pattern

I personally prefer to run race shift on track as I find it easier to change gear particularly on corner exit when still hanging off the bike and leaned over. There is no real performance gain and ultimately it just comes down to personal preference and whatever you find easier.

Once you get used to the change it's great. It's probably comes in to it's own accelerating out of left handers still cranked over, pushing the lever down instead of struggling to get yr toe under to lift up. Lap times no difference to speak of. Changing down should be done before the turn so doesn't affect that.

Last edited:
depends if you ride on the road and have a separate track bike, if you cant have them both the same deffo go with road shift
cos swapping from one to the other could spell disaster.

A guy died at Mallory on a track day cos he borrowed a bike that had road shift, he was used to race shift and shifted the wrong way coming down the devils elbow he ended up in the barrier.

Reverse Shift Pattern

On the 2015/16 model it's incredibly simple to reverse the gearshift direction and change from road shift to race shift. The OEM rearsets are designed in such a way that it only involves moving one bolt.

its on my 11 plate track bike im wanting to fit the race shift. looking lie the sato racing it is the best option. im changing mine and the missis gixer too but we will keep road shift for the road bikes.

Gilles

You may want to consider Gilles FX Rearsets. They are reasonably priced and spares are readily available.

I'm using diamond read sets I was sceptical at price but thought if goes down on track spare easy and cheap . I was amazed at quality love them esp for ?150 and freer break gaurd worth ?40

I changed back to road shift after 4 years of race shift. I did this after discovering the 15 RR needs more lever effort changing to a lower gear. Unless you get paid to race i'd stay with the road pattern.

I changed back to road shift after 4 years of race shift. I did this after discovering the 15 RR needs more lever effort changing to a lower gear. Unless you get paid to race i'd stay with the road pattern.
Really? You do surprise me, I've found mine to be soooo much better.

Always used race/reverse shift on road and track bikes, find it much easier all round.

I once sold a road bike that I put to reverse shift, I had a phone call a day or so later with the chap all upset, he had taken the bike to a garage who had told him that the previous owner had 'fitted the gearbox upside down' and wanted ???? to fix it. BLIMEY! Pointed him to the owners manual to fix ;-)

Reverse Shift Pattern

I've found the S1000RR the easiest bike to ride in race shift especially with the quickshifter and autoblipper.

Latest posts

Back