Race fit

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Hi guys first post .been watching for a while so thought I would join
doing my first trackday Tuesday and just wondered if any body uses
a race fit growler exhaust.
My gen 3 still has cat in so with baffle will it be ok or should I put original back on for track day

I think you should check the Race Fit website. Also depends on the TD you are going to. I have a Gen 4 with a Growler X slip on, (and still have Cat) and they say that'll make a loud track day only, which is fairly standard for their cans (I think they say they are race standard: 102db at 5500 revs, when MSV want 3/4 max revs, so that's 10.5k??). The X cannot accommodate a DB killer, so I have been talking to them about changing the end can to the one that can accommodate a DB killer. They say this is all possible but will reduce the noise by a 'few DB'. That doesn't sound like it'll help for most track days and they keep saying just put the OEM one for that... which I would if I had one...

Last edited:
Hi got baffle but don?t want to risk not being able to do track day
it?s James whitham one at cadwell 105 db think I will stick original one on for the day
must say I love the race fit one

That's definitely the safest thing to do. I'm taking the Gen 4 to Brands next chance I get to get it noise tested. Of course it depends how seriously the noise test is performed of course. I was at Cadwell and Snetterton last year (with a Gen 2) and one of the noise tests was carried out comparatively rigorously, don't remember which. The other was hilarious - the mic was waved roughly in the direction of the bike, which i didn't get a chance to bring up to revs before they gave me the sticker and waved me away...

FAF, another member here, has a Racefit full system which I don't think has been noise tested yet, look out for him posting if he finds out how that does.

Last edited:
Cheers will keep a look out will stick original back on
and keep an eye out for fafs posts thanks for replying cheers

FAF, another member here, has a Racefit full system which I don't think has been noise tested yet, look out for him posting if he finds out how that does.

Yes, I have the Racefit with full akra system. Not been on track yet, but I have the original can just in case! Racefit told me that the growler could be converted to use a baffle with it (charge of ?150), but that the dB reduction 'wouldn't be much'. But maybe 2 or 3 dB might be enough of a reduction??

But maybe 2 or 3 dB might be enough of a reduction??

It appears you need the baffle just to meet the right standards!

From their website Q&A #8: Racefit exhausts (depending on which design on which bike) combined with our Noise Reduction Insert (NRI) are designed to comply with current FIM/ACU (superbike) regulations and therefore loud track days. Generally track days are run according to these regulations and if your exhaust is correctly maintained you should have no problems. Do not try them on a quiet track day ? usually our simplest advice is quickly slip on your standard OEM exhaust for the track day. Our titanium baffles/NRIs are designed to quieten Growlers which can be quickly and easily installed and also removed.

I have a Growler X (#4 https://www.racefit.co.uk/pages/racefit-exhaust-choices) which doesn't have the end cap (#3 first one) to take the NRI, so I've got to be even louder than ACU spec (and FAF will be more still if you have decat??). Rick appears to have the right end can, so maybe you should be able to do 102db @ 5500 / 92db drive (I think that's the ACU rules?) if it is 'correctly maintained'... but you'd still be safest to check before the day to ensure you get/stay on track.

Last edited:
Thanks guys tried it with nri in just a moment ago .
Think I will stick oem back on for the day will let you know what happens

So finally got some numbers on my exhaust today. Me and a mate went to Castle Combe to get noise tested as they had a car track day running.

We arrived at the circuit with only 290 miles on the bike, and I think that all tests were done with the bike in Road mode... maybe Dynamic. As you can see from the pic I have the cat, and a Racefit Growler X end can (as opposed to the Growler, which can accept a baffle and DB killer). After the very friendly marshals had finished laughing at the idea of testing my bike we did a couple of runs to see what it would do:

1. Just under 5.5k revs: 99db
2. Just over 5.5k revs everything changes, and the marshals very patiently made sure that they gave me a good feel for the change in noise level. They decided that it went up to 103db.
3. Next they wanted to try the standard test they do - 3/4 of max revs, but as the bike is still being run in we decided to go for just over 7k - it jumped up to 111db... no surprise really...

I have seen mention of a butterfly valve in posts - is that what causes the change around 5.5k revs?
Would the results be different in different modes, best to use Rain?

This all seems to verify what I thought - that I could keep the end can for road use, but it'll never make it on track? Either I keep using the Gen 2 for that or I might need to source a standard Gen 4 end can for track use... would a Gen 3 end can fit a Gen 4?

I know Cadwell has totally different levels vs Castel Coombe, but.... Amit (Immortal Indian) joined us of the first part of the ride today, and my mate was blown away by how loud his decat full akra system was on the road, wayyyy louder than my bike - and that made it onto Cadwell last year...

Attachments

• CCG4RR.jpg
    CCG4RR.jpg
    842.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Hi guys did trackday it was great
put oem pipe back on it came in at
96 bd so don?t think racefit would have got anywhere
near it cheers for your help already
booked. Next one can?t wait

Latest posts

Back