Puncture

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren jones

Reaction score
Hi all have a nail smack centre of rear tyre that has only done 500 miles is it worth plugging or is it a new tyre ? New to the whole bike scene first puncture I have had.

I'd change it. Wouldn't risk the repair, just not worth it if it fails and causes a crash.

I'd change it. Wouldn't risk the repair, just not worth it if it fails and causes a crash.

Absolutely, bite the bullet,will always be on back of your mind and will not allow you to relax on bike and enjoy it properly if repaired,CB500 commuter bike,no problem,not your S1000..... it hurts but just got to do it.

had a fairly new rear tyre plugged on my last bike
(R1) was conscious of it a first, to be fair I soon totally forgot about, used to ride it pretty hard on road and had no issues, even when I eventually removed tyre the repair was still in exelent shape, guess what it comes down to is how good is your repair man and can you trust there work and can you put it out of your mind

I wouldn't risk it but if your tyre fitter will do it ,and guarantee it,then it might not be a problem to you.Most reputable companies would probably refuse.(I think they have a limit on the size of hole).
It's probably going to cost £25-30 anyway by the time it's balanced etc.
I certainly wouldn't use it on a trackday!!
A friend of mine did it on a gsxr750 and had 2000 trouble-free miles inc.a couple of trackdays,so each to there own.

I would have it repaired if your tyre fitter thinks its ok and as you say its in the centre.

I have a running joke with my tyre fitter as I went through a period where I had a new rear tyre fitted and then come back for a puncture repair within 2 weeks. This has happened to me 4 times on each new tyre.

If the puncture was nearer to the sides than centre then I'm sure my fitter would not do it, nor would I risk it.

I'd have it repaired. Same as Yam-Andy for me, first I ever had repaired worried me for all of 2 rides, then I completely forgot about it.

Any good tyre centre will give you sound advice if its safe to repair or not.

Had a week old rear Pirelli Rosso Corsa plugged last summer, no way was I replacing that with so little use. Fitter (hammer & tongs in Warrington) had no qualms doing it either.

Tyres of this rating shouldn't be repaired so you will not get a guaranteed repair but most places will do it, I fitted a plug in Germany last year and did 2 laps of the ring and a day at Spa and was fine.

Most places make you sign to say that you wont do more than 40mph on a repair. Safety clause methinks. When you think how a tyre works/expands/shrinks/softens/hardens wth heat etc, only you can decide on the risk. You pays ya money you takes ya choice.......

surely the repair should get more secure the faster and longer your riding? Since it's a a piece of rubber already bigger than the puncture hole, then heat causes rubber to expand, the bung will expand more than the rest of tyre due to the way the heat effects a smaller piece of rubber over a larger surfaced rubber.

surely the repair should get more secure the faster and longer your riding? Since it's a a piece of rubber already bigger than the puncture hole, then heat causes rubber to expand, the bung will expand more than the rest of tyre due to the way the heat effects a smaller piece of rubber over a larger surfaced rubber.

I'm no scientist and you could well be right but as been said I guess its horses for courses, everyone's use is different

Ad repair always have done with no issues mate its in the middle and if as the other guys said if u can live with it wothour worrying the crack on
to me it's the same as oh don't mix ur tyres av rode for years and if av came off its always my fault or someone else never the bike or tyres lol but the mixing tyre is another grey area lol

Ad repair always have done with no issues mate its in the middle and if as the other guys said if u can live with it wothour worrying the crack on
to me it's the same as oh don't mix ur tyres av rode for years and if av came off its always my fault or someone else never the bike or tyres lol but the mixing tyre is another grey area lol

I never worry about mixing tyres.

Got a Mich wet on front at moment, and a Mich summer sports tyre on rear. As long as the fronts got grip in this weather the rear can do what it wants to.

Riding the ring in the wet now that's a big balls and Germany is as good a place to die moment .......... Love it respect :). Even 2 laps is respect lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back