OEM grip removal?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbaz

Reaction score
Right don't shoot me down on this one, I'm pretty good at garage stuff but only got the bike at 22.30hrs last night & I'm looking to change the grips to pro grip ones. Just took a quick look this morning and they do not seem to pull back of the bars/throttle as I'd expected. is it a simple cut off job or has BMW designed a quirky install that means you cant do the job that easy?

Last edited:
Just a note on the passenger side if you pull the grip back slightly from the switchgear it reveals a hidden screw so no need to cut the gips off as its on a plastic tube.

Just a note on the passenger side if you pull the grip back slightly from the switchgear it reveals a hidden screw so no need to cut the gips off as its on a plastic tube.

Yes it is on a plastic tube...but...if you undo the screw and the nut on the opposite side of the clipon, the grip won't slide off. You'll need to open up the quick release compartment on left hand switchgear and (in theory) release the 2 wiring connectors under which lies a release tab for the throttle grip. Note the service manual expressly says NOT to open up the switchgear as you'll damage the circuitry inside - designed not to be opened. Now, I tried to follow the instructions, but for the life of me I could not see how to release one of the connectors inside the switchblock. And seeing as how the wire diameters look like 0.5mm, any sudden movements could possibly damage them. So I left well alone and did what everyone else seems to do when you want to fit say a Renthal Grip - cut the original grip from switch to bar end. Get a set of pointy mole grips or some decent pliers that wont slip. Peel the grip edge back from the switch, grip it with the mole grips and pull hard towards the bar end. The rubber grip will come away. It is not glued. Once the grip has been removed, you will have a plastic tube with a spiral cut in it, which matched the spiral inside the grip. In addition, there are a couple of little plastic tabs that sit proud of the tube, which were used to anchor the grip. Next job was to file down the lip of the tube at the bar end end along with the tabs. Finally, buy a set of grips (they normally come with a wider one for the throttle side) and use the throttle grip to fit over the tube on the cluitch side - so yes, if you want to replace the grips, you'll need to buy 2 pairs of grips and use the fatter throttle grip from each set. Spray the tube and inside of the grip with hairspray, slide the grip on and leave for 24hours. You can rotate it for quite a while so plenty of time to get things to line up. Once dry, lockwire both ends. Job done. Not sure about the throttle side as I fitted a quick action throttle, but I'd guess it'll be the same - no glue. And as for heated grips, no idea!

Hope that helps

Dano, mine were glued both sides, throttle and clutch. It seems a bit hit and miss as to whether they were glued and how much glue was used.
Took me 3 hours to get the throttle side off.

Which q/a throttle did you get and does it include the housing as well? How much difference did it make?

Dano, mine were glued both sides, throttle and clutch. It seems a bit hit and miss as to whether they were glued and how much glue was used.
Took me 3 hours to get the throttle side off.

Which q/a throttle did you get and does it include the housing as well? How much difference did it make?

3 hrs? Nasty.
Mines a 2010, no glue on clutch side. Wonder if the early ones had no glue at all?
Quick action throttle is an SCM. Yes it includes the housing and cables. I have it on the medium cam and its pretty aggressive. I don't road ride any more so I'm just waiting for some warmish dry weather to try it out before the bike gets shipped off to Spain.

Mine is an early 2010 as well. It does seem to be random about the glue.

Any links for that Scm throttle?

Ps could it be set up so that one of the throttles goes each side of the brake lever? Thanks

Ps could it be set up so that one of the throttles goes each side of the brake lever? Thanks

http://www.ukroadandrace.co.uk/quickactionthrottle

No, the metal parts of the throttle cables are too close together. Just wondering why you would want to do that?

Latest posts

Back