Noise level

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissig32

Reaction score
hi guys
just change my OEM exhaust system to FULL AKRAPOVIC RACING SYSTEM WITH SLIP ON STUBY TITANIUM CAN.no dcat pipe etc also got bazzaz with new map. just wondering what would be the noise level on that system right now. on AKRAPOVIC website stating that all racing system are max 102 db. I have checked mine whilst bike was in the garage with one of this tablet apps and 116db. is it possible??
any thoughts
thanks Chris

That's probably a bit high but I doubt it will be 102 with a short can , mine was more like 110 @ 6k with no baffle

Checking it in the garage will not give you anything like an accurate reading , you will have the sound waves bouncing back off the walls, ceiling etc. raising the figures... Even though it rarely gets done correctly by those employed to do it at circuits... taking Snetterton and Castle Combe as two prime examples, the first by pretty much inserting the meter into the end can itself almost and the second by doing it in a shed themselves, shows how arbitrary a process it is, but , the ACU do make clear the guidelines , whereby it should be done outdoors, away from any solid structures and at a set distance , meter to end can............I ran 112 db in the shed on anRsv4 , and when I insisted on it being done outside, once engine was warm and at the correct distance , read 105 db - still needing different end can on to get out , but proved how inaccurately it was being done at first-cheers,GB.

Hi I started a similar thread on db levels at Castle Combe. My bike failed at 109db (outside the shed) they require 75% of max rpm which is 10500 on the S1000rr .... Am looking for a db killer plug or baffle to get noise down... Worried about ECU or other changes that need to be made any thoughts on where I could source something like this in UK for s1000rr oem exhaust ?

The stubby cans are pretty loud. I had a stubby Arrow can on my full to Superbike system. Had to buy a bigger can with a baffle to get on some circuits.

You could always just skip noise testing all together ;-)

got the MCT can but to get that fitted I will have to change link pipe again. so the easiest option will be buffle db killer :):)

I've seen bikes with the Akra stubby and baffles with pinholes in just scraping through noise tests(and sounding like strained wet farts in the process!!).And that was with the old 105db limits.

Get a longer can-it's not worth the aggro.That set-up won't achieve under 110db anywhere.

As far as i'm aware,Akropovic do not quote those figures for a full system-only using that can on a std system.

Anyone who has one.... i swapped my ARCS ultimate stubby (couldnt get through with 2 baffles in and choked to fk) for the ar v3, brands tested it at 98 (baffle in)

Chris,

Just keep both and swap the stubby for the MCT for trackdays. Make sure you keep the link pipes in good order (I use a little copper grease on my exhaust joins to help them come apart if needed) but to swap a stubby for a full length can will just be 15 mins work. Not a massive chore is it??

yep, but I will try buffle first, just prying to get 100-104db with buffle in if not option 2 so link pipe and MCT can
BTW anyone going to rocky on 16.03??

I think you would seriously damage the stubby can trying to attach a baffle inside it as its just not designed for them. It would certainly negatively effect it's resale value.

My mate knows the guy who runs MCT and he has an MCT can on his race bike. The noise levels are sensibly low but he still gets great power out of it. I wouldn't even bother baffling the stubby mate.

Bloody noise nazi's - bikes are supposed to be loud, thats part of the appeal!!!

Don't blame the circuit noise police - the circuits have to to it to remain open. Blame the people that move within earshot and then try to use EU legislation about noise to get the place shut down and increase the value of their houses. A*seholes...

Need proof - circuit in the middle of nowhere, Knockhill, has no neighbours to upset really. They post a nominal sound limit, but I've never, in the 15 years I've been visiting the place, seen a sound meter.

Don't blame the circuit noise police - the circuits have to to it to remain open. Blame the people that move within earshot and then try to use EU legislation about noise to get the place shut down and increase the value of their houses. A*seholes...

Need proof - circuit in the middle of nowhere, Knockhill, has no neighbours to upset really. They post a nominal sound limit, but I've never, in the 15 years I've been visiting the place, seen a sound meter.
Totally agree Shug, its not the Circuits that want the noise limits regulated.

Last time I was on a course at the Nurburgring we had to have transponders fitted to our bikes to identify any noisy bikes. Apparently there were noise meters around the track... I think some of the locals are getting a bit peeved, but the whole area would be dead without the income from the tourists etc etc.

Latest posts

Back