New tyres??

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanjack

Reaction score
I'm in desperate need of replacing the crappy Bridgestone BTO16 f&r from my bike. the original size for the rear was a BTo16R 190/55/17. iv'e noticed some people move to a 200/55 or 50/ 17 rear. What are the benefits from a lower profile and also a wider tyre?

Lastly if I kept the same profile or changed indeed what tyres should I be fitting.

My bike is a 2014 s1000rr.

Thanks guys.

The 200 is what the HP4/Optional Cast wheels come with, hence the mix.

Tyre choice depends on usage....and there are A LOT of threads talking about their relative merits.
Metzler, Pirelli, Dunlop and Continental are all good IMO.

i run standard size 190/55 and dont see the point of changing.I use the pilot power 3's and love them.great grip and feel.

Last edited:
For grip then the Metzler Racetec K3's are good. The M7RR is what I'm running now. Not as grippy but more than good enough. I personally wouldn't run a 200 on the standard rim.

Hi Alan,

Lower profile gives less flex.

I run M7RRs 200/55 on forged wheels and have no issues at all. Really rate the M7RRs for performance and longevity. I would keep to the original sizes, the bike was set up at the factory for them.

don't see where people come from on the 016 being crappy , some of my mates got them do just the same job as any road tyres , more than good enough to properly pull on, ??. just my opinion,

Thanks for your reply Jimmy 43, but I just don't feel confident with these tyres on this bike. I have a gsxr 750 2013 model with same tyre and its great, no issues. its just that I don't have any confidence, maybe it's just me.:distrust:

Thanks for steering me away from a bigger/lower profile rear tyre, I was getting really confused. At the end of the day it is personal choice, I had a 2000 zx6-r with Michelin road pilot 2 on and they were brilliant. I still have a choice Metzler, Michelin, Continental, Pirelli, oh I don't know!!:cheerful:

Thanks for you feedback, it means a lot:courage:

I've had Pirelli rossos on my last 2 blades and when my Bridgestones are done I'll be back to them. 4-4500 out a back tyre is normal for me out of them and good grip and confidence. Can't say for wet as I don't ride in the wet only if I get caught out and then it's take it easy till I'm through it. I had bridgestones s20 on my last blade when it came new and great tyres but the rear was done in 2000 miles otherwise I'd have kept using them.

A rear s20 lasted me 900 miles I'd go for meter k3 or pirelli supercorsas sp

I have always found tyres to be very subjective to individual experiences. My first Metzeler tyres in 2009 lasted about 1500 miles and I hated them with a passion because the front let go for a milli second once when I was going at it and being, frankly, gung-ho, I've grown up a bit since. Changed to Pirelli and thought they were great, problem being the SCs are rubbish in the wet, and it rains here. Then tried the M7RRs and I was back to Metzeler. I had PR3s on my other bike and the front pushed very wide on me last month in the dales, completely lost any confidence in them. Put a set of PR4s on that bike a couple of weeks ago, and they are great, suddenly all is good again. As has been said, the difference between the various tyres is marginal, the rest is in the riders head IMO. There was an article in a bike magazine last year comparing slicks with road sports tyres and the difference on track was a few seconds, the difference between the touring tyres and the sports tyres was tenths of a second.

As Soof says about sports touring tyres , I had a set of Pirelli Angels on my 09 blade a few years back and never noticed any difference . They didn't last a great deal longer than my usual Diablo 's that's why I went back to them. I'm just a road rider that likes to ride quick and am no racer so maybe they wouldn't suit everyone.

Latest posts

Back