New Renthal Sprockets & Gold Chain

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoops

Reaction score
Just had Renthal sprockets and new gold chain fitted - standard tooth/pitch.

Bikes are all packed up and tucked away in the vans ready for tomorrow at Snetterton - weather is predicted to be good and 26 degrees - come on!!

photo.jpg

Ive no idea - just ordered Renthal sprocket from supplier - said it was gold anodised etc - this is what arrived!

Is there anything i should know?

My mechanic has just said its "Alloy" - so neither aluminium nor steel - at least its not made of wood or cheese, thats all i care about and it looks the nuts with the gold chain - LOL!!

Keep an eye on it. I've read over on the USA S1000 sites that the teeth wear down rapidly because it's an alloy mix.

Great for a bit of weight saving on the track, but for road use it hasn't got the longevity of a Steel Sprocket.

Did you not think about getting a colour matched chain?

Keep an eye on it. I've read over on the USA S1000 sites that the teeth wear down rapidly because it's an alloy mix.

Great for a bit of weight saving on the track, but for road use it hasn't got the longevity of a Steel Sprocket.

Did you not think about getting a colour matched chain?

I meant alloy, and thats why I asked. I put a AFAM alloy sprocket on, didn't last very long :(
Keep a closer eye on it.

Ive no idea - just ordered Renthal sprocket from supplier - said it was gold anodised etc - this is what arrived!

Is there anything i should know?

Yes, Steve, that you saw it on my bike and couldn't resist LOL.

Don't worry about the longevity. They are hard anodised alloy , and on my blade I got 10k out of them. Enjoy.

But the blade didn't have wank wheels , took mine off after 1000ish miles, it had wore quite badly on one side.
Looked sweet though , and I have another one now on my oz wheels that is still mint

Yeah the guy at HM Racing had to mess about with wheel, as sprocket was moving all over the place. No way that BMW would have even known what to do......

It always makes me laugh on forums and sites like this where you get one person tell you one thing and another something completely different - that said i will note what is being said and will keep an eye on the sprocket - i dont ride my bike on the road, its a pure track bike - if I'm honest i did this mod for 2 reasons, one because the standard steel sprocket looks shite and the chain rusts and looks shite, second because ive always liked the aesthetic look of the gold/anodised Renthals and i love a gold chain!!

They do look good hoops, I need a new chain and sprockets myself so il start a thread for recomendations

Am running exactly what is in this post , not had any issues with the last set , covered a few thousand miles with no wear

I went through an AFAM hardened alloy rear sprocket in a very short milage. So I put the OEM back. I will try a supersprox one next.

It always makes me laugh on forums and sites like this where you get one person tell you one thing and another something completely different - that said i will note what is being said and will keep an eye on the sprocket - i dont ride my bike on the road, its a pure track bike - if I'm honest i did this mod for 2 reasons, one because the standard steel sprocket looks shite and the chain rusts and looks shite, second because ive always liked the aesthetic look of the gold/anodised Renthals and i love a gold chain!!

Quite right mate! Both our bikes now look awesome. Had a great ride on Sunday , and I swear it felt much better with the sprocket play removed, and road tyres.

I think (and this is third hand info, but makes sense) that a hard anodised ally sprocket is a bit more sensitive to condition than a steel one. So, if you run it on the road, you need to take care and keep things clean, as muck on the chain quickly turns into grinding paste. When that's through the hard anodised layer, you're running on alloy and it's a lot less wear resistant than steel. However, if the chain is constantly cleaned and lubed (as you'd tend to do with a track bike anyway) there's less of a wear issue. It's a case of keeping the hard anodised layer good and it'll be fine for ages - get that worn through and it'll chew quickly.

anodizing is just the procedure to apply the gold colour I don't think it has anything to do with strengthening the sprocket

Hard anodising applies a controlled corrosion coating to protect the sprocket. It doesn't harden the material underneath, it does add a protective hard coat. Hence "Hard" anodising, not just standard colour anodising - which is what you're referring to.

That's a new one on me shug, you learn something new every day as they say ;-)

Latest posts

Back