New Owner - Norfolk / Cheshire

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just picked up a Black 2012 S1000RR Sport from Cannon's in Braintree.

I'm in the Norfolk & Cheshire areas or commuting between them! First priority is suitable luggage for the 180mile trip...I'm thinking Ventura / SW Motech and/or a Kriega 30L Drypack or BMW 30L jobbie (I'd like to avoid needing a rucksack).

After that I need to sort out a few personal touches...I'm thinking Austin Racing's Decat with a stubby Ti can and their carbon bottom fairing :biggrin-new:

I think for long distances I do need to get the gear selector and rear brake in better positions (I understand the rod has adjustment in it so will be looking to lower the gear lever and raise the brake lever). I would also like to reduce the effort on the clutch but not sure if that's possible with a cable version....hmmm.

Experience to date; I passed my CBT/Mod1/Mod2 in 2010. Since then have completed the ERS, Safe Rider (Bike Safe), i2i MC1/3/5. I've done 3 track evenings and 1 track day at Snetterton.
For all that time I've owned only one bike; Honda CB1000R...so I've only owned 1000cc's but the S1KRR is on another planet for speed obviously.
My motivation for getting the S1KRR was I wanted a sports all rounder. I needed a fairing and more lean angle...as I'd started grounding the CB1R on the track...without even getting a knee down! The fairing was for the commute above I plan to do. The competition was possibly unsurprisingly the CBR1000RR (2012+)...it lost purely because I felt more comfortable physically on the S1KRR - however I did *want* the CBR1000RR more...to be fair though it was like picking between 2 supermodels!

So thats me. Comments or advice on any of that welcome :)

hiya.....can vouch for the Ventura....I ran my S1K in just before my first ever trip to the IOM TT in 2012 (from Norfolk) and the luggage was great. can't remember bag names but had the two on the back and couldn't tell they were on tbh. only downer....always one! the raincover prevented rain from entering the bags from above but all the road spray etc entered from underneath somy kit at the bottom got wet. haven't used it since but if and when I do another IOM trip i'll maybe shove it on the HP4 but put poly bags in the bottom and underneath the bags. hope this helps. again welcome and safe riding!!

Great intro, hello and welcome to the forum.

I have the BMW tailpack, its not fully waterproof but looks pretty good on the bike and only takes a couple of minutes to fit on. I reckon the Ventura will get the most votes.
Hope you have a good set of waterproofs for your commute :eagerness::eagerness::eagerness::eagerness:

Cheers for the info on the Ventura pro's and cons. I'll look up if the SW-Motech is the same. I want to keep the CoG low and my stuff dry!

Back