S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuW

Reaction score
Just signed up, getting info on the S1k RR. Just started a new job and looking to maybe get my bike test done soon in preparation to get a bike next year :untroubled: used to fast cars but bikes have always interested me, would an S1000 be an unreasonable first bike ...?

Welcome Stu,

Reasonable / Unreasonable is a really a question of self control. Do you have any? :)
The throttle and fueling of the S1000RR make it a docile as a CB1000R in town.

I've come to bike from having decent quick cars too, but none come close to the visceral experience on a bike.
I went straight to a litre bike (the CB1R) from passing my test at the age of 30...after 3 years of that I decided to get a sports bike so I could have more track fun.
In the UK it's a little difficult to enjoy these bikes on the road. Sometimes a 600 is more 'throttle-to-the-stop' exciting.

I'd ride a plethora of bikes before deciding what to do.

Thanks for the quick reply Alex :)

I'd like to say I have a bit of self control :livid: I know fast cars are in fact, slow cars in comparison to bikes, especially the BMW. I'll check out a few posts on here and make my mind up, as I said it won't be until next year so not jumping into it, like to get as much info on things beforehand! I'm 26 and been driving 9 years. I did think about a 600 to begin and then move up to 1000 if the time came when I wanted to.

Hi Stu, I agree with Alex, it is all about control as any car or bike only goes as fast as you make it. Take the advice of your riding instructor who will have experience of what will suit a newly qualified rider and will know your personal abilities, whatever you get, enjoy.

Welcome to the site.

JimmyMac

Just signed up, getting info on the S1k RR. Just started a new job and looking to maybe get my bike test done soon in preparation to get a bike next year :untroubled: used to fast cars but bikes have always interested me, would an S1000 be an unreasonable first bike ...?

Hi Stu, welcome to the forum:).

No, not unreasonable to get an sthou as a first bike although you might find insurance interesting.... definitely get the bike you want rather than the bike you get told you should get. I did the latter and I think I lasted about 2 months before swapping. I think you will form a better opinion once you start your rider training.

Thanks for the welcomes :)! I'll have a look around the forum and read up a lot! I was set on a 600 until I seen a grey/black S1000RR :love-struck:

Insurance will be an issue to start with, get that checked out before you set your heart on anything, IMO there's a lot to be said for getting a bit of experience on something lesser powered first, riding a bike (regardless of power) isn't like driving a car. Best of luck with getting your licence.

Welcome, I did 3 years on a 600 with 98hp before venturing onto litre sports bikes and gained valuable riding skills and experience as well as doing my own servicing and mods so it was time well spent.
Although I wouldn't recommend a S1000rr (near 200hp) as a first bike it really depends on your maturity with the throttle and depth of your wallet re insurance payments.
Get your test done, stick around on the forum and then decide, good luck :smile-new:

Stuart's are popular in my work aswell, think there's about 5 :biggrin-new: I'll look up insurance etc soon and see wether it is ruled out due to cost!

Welcome to the forum StuW!

It's great to hear that you're going to get your motorcycle licence and start your biking adventures :).
I've been riding motorcycles for ~ 13 years and I can honestly say they are one of the greatest passions in my life ...
They truly make me happy, and I hope that in time you'll become as passionate as we all are :).

With regard to the S1000RR, at the end of the day it is entirely "your" decision, all we can give you is our opinion based on experience.
That being said, I personally do not recommend an S1000RR, or any Sportbike let alone Superbike for that matter, as your first bike.

The reason for this, is that you simply can't appreciate how extreme these bikes are and how much you need to learn about riding, beyond just passing your test.
Superbikes are extreme in every sense of the word ... and as result, I am of the opinion that they would only hinder rather then facilitate your progression as a rider.

As MacRR has mentioned, insurance will be colossal, so it is essential you look into this before you even consider a particular bike.
Next, you must appreciate that riding a bike is entirely, wholly different to driving a car (irrespective of what that car might be).
The power is like nothing you will have ever expedited before, and despite the vast array of electronic assistance these bikes have, they are by no means fall proof, and so these bikes can get you into serious trouble very quickly indeed.

When you're starting out in riding, I personally think a middleweight naked bike makes a huge amount of sense, because you'll have a thoroughly entertaining amount of power, but it will be far more forgiving and manageable then a 200 hp super bike.
The next benefit is that an upright riding position gives you total control at slow speed, when moving the bike around or slow speed manoeuvres etc which will help build your confidence, rather then being perched over a sportbike feeling intimidated.
As an example, I rode enduro bikes and then motocross for years before getting my bike licence, I started out on a basic middleweight naked road bike for a couple years before moving to a 600 class sportbike. Despite that, I personally remember it taking me something like 10 + K miles before I could honesty say I felt comfortable doing U-turns on a sportbike lol.

The final benefit is the insurance, you'll pay a fraction of the price of a S1000RR.
I think it's very important to bear this in mind because whilst you may well be able to afford it, if you just waited a few years building both your riding experience/skills and your no claims bonus you'll be able to purchase your dream super bike in the future and the money you'll have saved would go towards good quality kit, mods, experiences etc.

If I had my early biking time again, I would have told myself to stick with a naked bike for a while longer, and indeed a middleweight sportbike for longer before moving up to a super bike.
The main reason for this is the insurance cost. The second is that there's no getting away from the fact that a superbike that can do 100 mph in 1st gear can be frustrating to ride on the road, because you simply can't let it off its leash without risking your licence.

I don't mean to sound discouraging in any way, but motorcycling is something I hope you'll enjoy for the rest of your life, so there really is no rush at all to get into sportbikes ASAP :) ... and they get better every year too! ;)

Whatever bike you decide on, I hope you are wholly happy with it and that you build your riding experience as progressively and as safely as possible :).

Oli

P.S. Golden rules I hope will serve you well:
"Look" where you want the bike to go.
Counter-Steering is how any two wheeled vehicle turns (try it if you don't believe me, and you'll be blown away at how responsive a bike can be). Lastly, the "experiences" you have on your bike are far more important than "what" bike you ride :).

Insurance will be an issue to start with, get that checked out before you set your heart on anything, IMO there's a lot to be said for getting a bit of experience on something lesser powered first, riding a bike (regardless of power) isn't like driving a car. Best of luck with getting your licence.

That's a good point about insurance. If the S1k is your first bike after passing your test, you may find it difficult to get any insurance cover at all, or you could find that the premium is the same or higher than the value of the bike. Try a few comparison sites to get an idea. A few years NCD on a 600 could make all the difference.

PS Welcome to the site!

Last edited:
Hi Mate and welcome to the site.

I'd personally say start at the start and build upon that. A 600 is more than enough to begin with. At roughly your age I started on a ninja 600 and rode 600s for several years which was great experience and I built up many years NCD. It was great learning and nice also not to be raped on the insurance when it came to getting big bikes.

As Oli wisely says it's not the bike but the experience.

Enjoy whatever you end up buying.
Bell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back to the drawing board :blue: 600cc+ is apparently going to be ?6500 minimum :dejection: not overly keen on naked bikes, but out of interest what naked's would be recommended?

Back to the drawing board :blue: 600cc+ is apparently going to be ?6500 minimum :dejection: not overly keen on naked bikes, but out of interest what naked's would be recommended?

Kawasaki z800 looks the nuts

Unfortunately high initial insurance premiums is something you'll have to be prepared for to begin with.
This is why anything other then a "Super Sport" category bike will be in your best interest insurance wise.

Why not a fan of naked bikes? Many of them are based on a super sport chassis, but have a far more comfortable riding position and are arguably more versatile.
Sporty naked bikes are very popular at the moment, and for good reason.

If I were you, and if I was starting out again, I'd be looking at a Triumph Street Triple 675 R or if you're looking to buy brand new, the 765 Street Triple.
Reason being, is that by all accounts these are class leading middleweight naked bikes and I personally believe the middleweight Triumph 3 cylinder engines are one of the top 2 in motorcycling ... I had a Daytona 675 R and the engine was sweeeeeet!
The other of course is the lump in the SThou range, naturally lol!
For what it's worth, the general refinement and gearbox in Triumphs triple is better then that of an S1000, or at least in my experience I found that to be true.

Try not to feel dejected, as you'll be amazed how your insurance will decrease once you have just 1 year of NCB :).

Have you had a look at older bikes? Unless you have a horrendous driving record and / or live in a high crime area I can't believe you won't get a half decent quote on something like a 2005 GSXR 600 or 750 - both still look smart, handle very well, cost c?3k and are plenty quick enough to be going on with?

Latest posts

Back