New leathers ?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divingdelboy

Reaction score
Anyone on here know who's having a sale on leathers? preferably one piece race suit type ?? Planning a trip to europe in the summer so thought I would get some good leathers for the occasion 8) . Any good advice on what to buy & what not to buy.

Hi

Is it a trip to Europe to do track days or a general trip to Europe.?

One piece suits are for the track, that's what they are designed for. For Touring Europe 2 piece textiles are deff better, i've tried all none are perfect but textiles are best.

Regaeds
D

J&S, try some on for size. Then use the interweb. ;) It is the cheapest way.

Leathers are not designed just for the track. Some are track oriented with humps and logo's I give him that but as a whole they simply offer the best protection and can be used for a wide range of motorcycle endevours.

I tour Europe every year with one piece racing leathers. I tend to use my older set though. Why you may ask? Well let me tell you in three words..... Sweat, Sweat, Sweat. They will humm when you get back. They will likely need surgically removing and once removed will walk themselves into the cloak room.

If like me you just want the best available protection despite the heat and discomfort then as I mention above, find some that fit in a local bike shop and then order onlline or ask the shop to price match.

Happy hunting.

I have had textiles before but personally didn't like them for riding sportsbikes but I agree they are comfortable. I feel once I start wearing textiles I'll be drawing the pension, smoking a pipe and driving a tall heavy GS..
I have to agree with rumppole, leathers for me all the time.. My bike trip is a general tour of europe no track days planned' as of yet.. :( Never thought of the sweating factor as where I live that never happens....well not often!! ;D but a interesting point, maybe look for a suit with plenty ventilation then.. eh?
[size=small]I think I'll stick with the hunt for a one piece suit, probably alpinestars or dainese, arlen ness are meant to be very good aswell.[/size]

I should have probably said..

The sweating factor is the reason I prefer textiles. All are fine when you are on the move but as soon as you stop you feel the steam coming out every hole. It's still the same problem with the textiles but slightly better I feel and they are easier to clean.
I have yet to see a one piece leather suit advertised as designed for touring however off course you can wear them wherever you want.

Good luck with your choice as I said before none are perfect and you will sweat :)

Regards
D

Why not try a two piece leather suit? More ideal for touring, especially when you get to stop for a break.

I would not go for fully vented leathers unless you have 2 peice waterproofs ,
it is possible to get leathers with removable linings for washing.

You could try this place as they have used leathers www.essexbikerscentre.co.uk

Hi - hope this helps - I went on my first european trip this year - Cumbria - Portsmouth - Caen - Lyons - Italian Riviera (north) - Umbria - Sorrento in the south and back to the Italian Riviera in the North - South of France - Barcelona - Pamplona - Santander - Portsmouth - Cumbria over a ten day period.

Some 400-500 mile days some less. All very hot days apart from the trip from Cumbria to Portsmouth and back and one when it rained going from Southern Italy to Northern Italy on the return trip.

I wore my one piece Alpine Stars suit - I have a two piece textile suit - but .....but I felt that the textile suit would have been too much for the heat abroad moreso than the leathers. The one piece has a removable one piece lining - which helped with the breathability and was removable and washable and more importantly - it was thin enough to be dryable overnight.

I agree with divingdelboy re the textiles and sportsbikes unless - the weather is guaranteed to be crap? ie Britain - and you can take them off and dry them out before your next ride.

I have a two piece hill walking wetsuit (much less expensive than a made for biking wetsuit - and better at keeping the wet out). Also fact it's two piece means it is easier to fold and stow.

When on the move you don't actually feel the suit (that's what it's designed for - you don't even know you're wearing it.) - but you feel the heat when fuelling up or resting - then again you will with anything your wearing - I have sweated my b@ll+cks of wearing my textiles in this country - never mind in 40degrees in France / Spain / Italy.......6 hours in the saddle or 20mins at a fuel stop?

I probably did get a couple of sideways glances when buying a pastry or filling up at fuel stops - but overall was quite comfortable - I put the sideways glances down to people admiring and wondering about the bike - everyone wanted to comment on it - oh and by the way - I felt no pain when the old codger in Italy knocked me off at a boundarout!

Make your own decision.........it'll be reet! Happy riding.

Try your local bike gear they always got deals on and price match regular for me,im going for a wolf suit again

I'm going to be getting some new leathers within the next month or so, haven't yet decided whether to go for one or two piece, the main decision I'm having trouble with is whether to go for perforated or non-perforated (Dainese). Main usage is A & B road weekend jaunts with the odd track day thrown in. Anybody have any experience with both?

Unless you live in Spain it's a no brainer... ::)

Non perforated[size=78%] all the way! [/size] ;)

[size=78%]From experience' I had a spidi one piece and it was perforated... I can safely say it was sold very soon afterwards.. [/size]

Get yourself to the London bike show in a couple of weeks, loads of good bargains to be had. Check out the Alpha motorcycle stand, a right good bunch of chaps that'll see you right.

Yea divingdelboy, i guess that was a bit of a 'think before posting' comment lol. ::)

Dave, already got tickets, wouldn't miss it for the world! Myself and five mates all going. Hopefully get some good deals on leathers and helmets, and possibly some other bits if my willpower is its usual non-existant self lol.

Going to take the boy this year for the first time. It's a good job he still goes free as he'll probably be ready to go home after he's eaten his burger and chips.

divingdelboy link=topic=1919.msg19018#msg19018 date=1359670954 said:
Unless you live in Spain it's a no brainer... ::)

Non perforated[size=78%] all the way! [/size] ;)

[size=78%]From experience' I had a spidi one piece and it was perforated... I can safely say it was sold very soon afterwards.. [/size]
Suppose 98% of your riding will be in under 20c? Also, its not always very hot in every part of Europe..

I've got set of white and black Dainese I think the model type is (T.Puma P.Basic) that I've never got round to selling
They are one piece brand new never worn still got the tags on them
I brought them when I was going to get my bike in Motor Sport colours but went for red and black instead

I want what I paid for them plus any postage incurred which was £350.00
Email me if you want any more information

Latest posts

Back