My 2016 S1000RR

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevie Mac

Reaction score
Just testing forum runner from my mobile, as I'm a new member, the obligatory picture of my first BMW. 200 miles into the run in phase, getting there slowly!!

ForumRunner_20160416_165108.jpg

Last edited:
Meant to say, what's with BMW and the square section cut out of the rear hugger!! Came accros some mildly wet roads, back end including pillion seat and top of the tail unit was absolutely filthy! Silly question but does the hole have a particular function?

No it's not a silly question. It is there to provide clearance for the abs box that sticks out under the rear subframe.

However, it is virtually impossible to compress the rear suspension to the extent it would get to that point. I'd recommend a rear hugger without the hole (referred to as the non-Abs variant). If you are into carbon bling then the rear hugger and chain guard as one piece, without the hole, is a very nice addition to the bike. I have had one fitted for nearly 3 years without issue. The rear still gets dirty but the rear shock saved from much of the crud.

Ahh, I did look at the abs box but thought, nah, if that gets anywhere near the rear hugger then your already in a bad place! Thanks for the info bud. I'll look at the non ABS carbon one, I ordered a load of HP and other goodies last night. I'll get the first service out of the way and then get it all fitted.

Meant to say, what's with BMW and the square section cut out of the rear hugger!! Came accros some mildly wet roads, back end including pillion seat and top of the tail unit was absolutely filthy! Silly question but does the hole have a particular function?
It doesn't have to be a hole silly German's. I've used some paint protection film and filled it in which the thick ed's should have done right from the start. God i hate that hugger with a hole......... FILL THE BLOODY THING BACK IN for the 4th generation pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Just spent 30 mins cleaning the crap off under seat unit. I hate that hole

Did mine with a bit of mesh riveted in then black masking tape on the underside, change tape once a year whether it needs it or not ! Oh and it's free if you work in the construction industry.

Mine is the NON ABS model and still has the hole which baffles the f*ck out of me even more :S. Its about the only "hole" in my life that's useless and is more of a hindrance than anything lol

It will serve a purpose. Probably aerodynamic. They don't make parts more complicated for the sake of it. But they will use the same part for all models.

Latest posts

Back