Moving from Ducati 899 Panigale

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosso

Reaction score
Hi All.

Considered the 1299 but looking for something completely different.

I ride most days , approx 8k/yr.

Looking at a 16 sport with performance pack. Can't decide between Black & Motorsport.

Apologies in advance for talking money in my first post but what kind of discount could I expect as a cash purchase on the above spec ( amount, percentage or target buying price)

Welcome along. Can't answer your question as not tried to buy for cash/new. Certainly hope you can find a good deal on the faster Black model ;)

I do love the 899/959...to look at except for the latters stock cans! How are they to ride? They have the Wet clutch I hear so they are much nicer than the 1199/1299?

Hi All.

Considered the 1299 but looking for something completely different.

I ride most days , approx 8k/yr.

Looking at a 16 sport with performance pack. Can't decide between Black & Motorsport.

Apologies in advance for talking money in my first post but what kind of discount could I expect as a cash purchase on the above spec ( amount, percentage or target buying price)

Hey Rosso, firstly welcome to the site. In my experience, totally depends on the dealer as far as cash discount goes. Should get at least ?500 without hassle, if not walk away. My local dealer told me that he would discount any new bike by this amount for a cash no hassle sale. I have bought all my bikes this way and the only dealer not to budge was Vines of Guilford, but they had the last limited edition Adventure bike in the country and I REALLY wanted it. Cheeky bastards knocked 10% off a keyring I bought at the same time, spent ?16500 and got ?1.10 discount, brilliant.
Best salesman I have dealt with is Dave Foster from Williams in Manchester, did me a cracking deal on my HP4 Carbon and is a real gentleman. They might not give as much cash discount but are good at supplying the bling carbon bits at mega reduced rates to get the equivalent saving.

Where are you located?

JimmyMac

Welcome along. You have to get the MS colours obviously.
Enjoy the search and the new bike when you get it.

Jimmy, 10% off a key ring? Seriously?! FFS :mad-new:
What a twat.

@ Alex, Agree about the 959 cans! Truly fugly & ruin the looks of an otherwise stunning bike (IMO). The 899 makes a cracking road bike, I think the 1199 & 1299 both have wet clutches too so not much difference there. The 1199 can be too 'snatchy' on the road , a handful at town speeds , whilst I have been told the 1299 is more civilised ( not ridden one yet). I've been told the blipper on the 12 is sublime. All the bikes sound the biz if a big v twin is your thing even with stock cans. The 1299 with Akras ( given away free at the end of 2015) is something else ( sound & look). The 899 as an every day bike? Very good . Relatively frugal ( mid 40's/120 mile range) , can be heard from miles away, folding mirrors so you can tight filter ( unlike the 1299) , panigale specific fixing kit to enable kriega luggage attachment ( unlike the 1299) , 7.5-9k service intervals ( approx 200 quid) & big smile and a semi by the time I get to work ( although Eva from accounts thinks I look like a tw*t with my commuting gear on). Why do I want to change then? Poor reliability & even poorer dealer..

@Marzy, how come your bike looks so good? Loved the 12 motorsport colours ( & 10 for that matter) but really struggling with the 15. What spec is yours? At the risk of sounding thick , are those the forged wheels? Is that why there is no red rim ( not a fan of the red except on a black bike)? It's the small things sometimes but looks so much better without it. Apologies for dwelling on aesthetics ( razor performance of the s1k is well known) but I want to purchase a bike that is emotive, that I want.. IMO the Panigale is stunning. That said, yours looks the business. Me likes...

You know for '16 there is a Black version with Red trim?

Last edited:
Interesting to hear about the 899. Seems they designed the 1199/1299 to be track/sunday use only. I hear the heat coming from the pipes/rear cylinder is better than a vasectomy. The 899/959 on the other hand seem for more real world usage. I keep looking at Cat D 848 SE's for a track only bikes...and then I get sensible and look at ?1500 CBR600's...

@Jimmy. Thanks for the welcome & all the info in your post. I'm based in Cheshire/Manchester so was hoping to strike my final deal with Williams Manchester. Disappointing to hear the cash discount may not be as good, I tend not to do too much carbon etc on as I normally put some miles on and therefore try to control costs (mileage depreciation) . My original strategy was going to be , ring around other dealers to get a price point & then see if Manchester would beat it to keep everything local ( purchase plus servicing). Will still try it. In your opinion, have I missed any super deals of November/December or do BMW not work like that?

I know what you mean - I'd rather a paint scheme rather than just red infill panels.

It's the launch weekend for ALL dealers this weekend. Best to call them and see what deals they have coming up.

Rosso, I'd certainly speak to Sean at Bowker. He did me a very good deal on a new GS in 2015. He's a bit old fashioned (but not old) in that he wants to get to the right price for you ASAP or move on. Straight talking and very polite with it.

Last edited:
Rosso, I'd certainly speak to Sean at Bowker. He did me a very good deal on a new GS in 2015. He's a bit old fashioned (but not old) in that he wants to get to the right price for you ASAP or move on. Straight talking and very polite with it.
Thanks pal, I appreciate the names, may help make small in-roads when I call round.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a few other questions for forum members if poss.

Real world average mpg (mixed riding?)
OEM tyre life? (Mixed average use - if there is such a thing)
OEM tyres in the wet/cold?
Servicing costs?
Reliability? (including niggles resulting in warranty claims - not always convenient with work/home life)
Anybody use a kriega tailpack with a 15 bike? Any issues?

Cheers

My experience on a 2012:

In London only I get about 80miles before the fuel light comes on and that light comes on with about 4L (or a gallon) left in it.
On a run I'd say it comes on at about 120miles. 10miles per litre seems normal, which my maths works out at 44mpg give or take.

Continental Sport Attack - 1 front to 2 rears, Rears last 3-4000miles IMO.

Servicing: Parts are reasonable, KFM do OEM parts cheaper if you want to supply your own. Labour charges vary wildly. London rates are ?100p/h! Other parts of the country half that. Best to speak to the dealer involved.

There was a re-call on the gear shift for the 15+. Make sure that's been done.

Last edited:
I too commute
I'm on an 11
190-200 kilometres the light comes on
I use metz m7rr very good in the wet probably one front and two rears a year
Had a few issues reliability wise but you should be fine buying new with a warranty

Latest posts

Back