Metal Filings on sump plug magnet

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriskibbledj

Reaction score
Evening all, I have just drained my oil before i go to work to leave it to drain over night in the garage before i complete the oil change tomorrow and i noticed a fair few metal filings on my sump plug magnet....

Its a 2012 model, 8k miles with FBMWSH... I was just doing an oil and filter change before i set off to the TT Saturday but this has got my attention now...

Is this fairly normal as have experienced no issues with the bike or engine whilst riding? just general wear and tear or is this something that could be serious?

Thanks

I have slightly over filled it, i put 3.5 litres in started it up and it vanished from the glass... so i put a little more in till it came half way up the glass. then took it round the block for a spin to make sure all was ok. (it felt fine) but the oil covers the whole glass now, so best way to drain a bit is just undo the sump slightly and let a bit out at a time keeping an eye on the glass?

Get a length of clear pipe and suck and syphon mate.

Yes , you want to siphon the extra oil out as you will end up losing too much oil trying to drain it the other way. In addition you really do not want to re-use the drain plug gasket as it is a one time use. I always put in 3.5 and then warm it up and go for a ride after checking for leaks. This ensures the oil has fully expanded and gives you a proper reading rather than just letting it idle for a few minutes. The oil really needs to warm up sufficiently.

Latest posts

Back