Marks on top of forks

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loupe

Reaction score
I noticed this mark on each side in the same as place (to the left of letter H) I initially thought it might have been my key fob rubbing on the left hand fork while riding but the fob is nowhere near the right side which is pictured.
rather annoying looking down and seeing this on both sides. Could this have happened at service? Not sure why they would adjust it though?

Mate, what's going on with your bike? Your filling me with dread. I'm sat waiting for mine to go in for service right now.

I've no idea?! Wasn't there before and only noticed while washing yesterday. What I can't understand is that it's exactly the same place on both sides. If it was a tool then there would be other marks where it gripped. If it was something that was dropped and marked it then it would only be on one side!
Confused!
Im obviously a bit cheesed off where it is but don't want to end up being the whinging customer whose an arsehole because he complains about everything but similarly if it was done while serviced I'd want to know.

taking min in for 2pm today ill be checking mine before i leave dealer. also noticed front disc rusting at rings so ill be bringing that to there attention

Didn't you get replaced forks? If so I would imagine it happened during the rebuilding of the front.

No, was just serviced and dash panel was loose. That's why I'm confused as to why it is marked.
Unless a clamp goes over top of forks for an alignment of some sort?

Sorry loupe - mine is not like that. The machined bit with the marks is not for adjustment - it's the top of the fork leg and would only come off if servicing the fork internals. I think that has either been done on assembly or in transport. The only adjustment on that leg is the black pre load nut in the middle. Warranty claim I'd guess?

Sorry loupe - mine is not like that. The machined bit with the marks is not for adjustment - it's the top of the fork leg and would only come off if servicing the fork internals. I think that has either been done on assembly or in transport. The only adjustment on that leg is the black pre load nut in the middle. Warranty claim I'd guess?

+1. If the marks are the same on both sides my best guess is that it has been done during transportation. Long shot this, but your bike has a few marks, cracked fairing I think, weird niggles when new? Loose instrument cluster.... Has it been used somewhere (press/demo) and had new dials to put it back to 'new'? I've never heard of such a thing and can't imagine BMW ever considering it an option, but it is all very odd.....

Bmw would never allow that. But - it does make me wonder how the bike was transported to Inverness?? Again sorry loupe- not what you want to hear.

Thanks for looking OW.
Definately was not like that when I picked it up, it's since last weeks service.
Ill mention to them but I really don't know what they can or will say.

+1. If the marks are the same on both sides my best guess is that it has been done during transportation. Long shot this, but your bike has a few marks, cracked fairing I think, weird niggles when new? Loose instrument cluster.... Has it been used somewhere (press/demo) and had new dials to put it back to 'new'? I've never heard of such a thing and can't imagine BMW ever considering it an option, but it is all very odd.....

I must admit that there's something just not right about the bike, I'm actually looking to see if there's any more faults every time I wash it rather than admiring it.

I'm actually looking to see if there's any more faults every time I wash it rather than admiring it.

Thats no good. I was at my stealer today and there are 4 new sthou bikes in the showroom, sold. I had a good nosey around them and they are all box fresh, yours should be too. One thing I did notice was that they were all motor sports with ddc, none had forged wheels.... not a popular option?

Thanks for looking closely at them SS.
Just a thought, a few folk had mentioned the weeping forks, do the forks need to come off and clamped at the top to rectify this job? Wondering if mine were done but clutching at straws here. I'm convinced I would have seen these marks before now if they were on it when I got it. In saying that though, if they were changed then they wouldn't argue about the markings.

I think you might want to ask the service department what exactly has been done to your bike and take it from there. I don't think ?16k worth of brand new bike should be the experience you seem to be having, it's certainly not normal with BMW products, both my bikes have been really good ownership experiences on the whole. I'd certainly take the approach of saying your 'not a happy camper' (with a polite smile) being new to BMW ownership and see how it goes. BMW dealerships do vary in their helpfulness, I know nothing of yours.

I think you might want to ask the service department what exactly has been done to your bike and take it from there. I don't think ?16k worth of brand new bike should be the experience you seem to be having, it's certainly not normal with BMW products, both my bikes have been really good ownership experiences on the whole. I'd certainly take the approach of saying your 'not a happy camper' (with a polite smile) being new to BMW ownership and see how it goes. BMW dealerships do vary in their helpfulness, I know nothing of yours.

Good advice, and I'm going in on Monday to have the sticker fitted on the rear fairing which was replaced.
Apparently it doesn't come with the sticker from the factory which I find very odd?
Ill speak to service and see what they say. My bike was in for the best part of the day but that is possibly because there was a few bikes in front of me when I dropped it off.
Im glad it's not just me who thinks spending good money on a bike and having these problems is ok.
The bike is amazing but at every turn there seems to be something that deflates the enjoyment of it.

Thats no good. I was at my stealer today and there are 4 new sthou bikes in the showroom, sold. I had a good nosey around them and they are all box fresh, yours should be too. One thing I did notice was that they were all motor sports with ddc, none had forged wheels.... not a popular option?

I preferred the standard ones but I didn't spec my bike, those were the wheels that were on it.
I only went down for a look and ended up buying it....
The bike flicks easily and turns in superbly so happy with the performance of them.
They are a nightmare to clean though.

If the bike has been in for a service, they may have checked the tightness of the stem, in which case (depending on the tool), it would be possible to mark both the inner faces of the fork tops if they were ham fisted (undoing - one side marked, then tightening and mark the opposite side).

Just a thought :)

Back