Insurance Rant

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyf

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
The forum regulars will no doubt all have been mumbling the same thing when they saw the title - "Should've gone to BeMoto, you dozy twat!", and they're probably right.

Unlike most insurance rants, I'm not ranting about the cost of insurance, or even the requirements of the insurance companies per se, but their dishonest practices.

Insurance is expensive for me as I don't have the best postcode and don't have a garage. As I have mentioned one or twice before, insurers will bend me over for not having a garage, but won't give any more discount for having an alarm, ground anchor, mahoosive lock and chain or tracker than they will for just having some crappy disc lock. Even though I have all the above (except the tracker) I only claim the immobiliser, so the insurers can't deny a claim if for any reason the alarm wasn't set, etc.

Insurance up for renewal at the end of the month, so got some quotes fro confused.com. My current insurer (lets call them Bennetts) wouldn't give me a quote online, but they did send a renewal quote notice, quoting about ?100 less than last year. My cheapest online quote (lets call them Right Choice) was about ?500 cheaper than Bennetts - same as last year, but I couldn't take the cheaper quote as I was taking the bike to Spain and the RIght Choice quote didn't provide cover for outside the UK. This year however, they do. Happy days. ?560 still isn't particularly cheap for someone closer to 50 than 40 and more years no claims than the insurers can count up to, but more than ?500 less than I'm currently paying is still pretty good news.

Thought about trying BeMoto, but they don't do online quotes and I didn't want to spend forever on the phone getting a quote, so clicked through to buy the Right Choice policy. When I entered my payment details, it said that it wouldn't be processed and finalised until it had been confirmed verbally. Do what? New one on me, but if for some reason they want to spend 2 minutes just confirming what I've already told them, that's not the end of the world. Half an hour later, much of which was spent on hold while the broker negotiated with the underwriter, it was confirmed that I could have the policy at the price quoted if I have a Datatool approved tracker fitted (I think he means a Thatcham approved tracker). I don't mind getting a tracker. I quite like the reassurance of knowing that I will get a text if my bike starts moving without me turning on the ignition, and the price of the policy, getting a tracker fitted and the next 2 years subscription is still less than I'm currently paying, but how can they quote me a price based on me declaring what security I currently have and then say that I can have that price, but only if I fit an approved tracker. It's pretty much 'bait and switch' (or a misleading trading practice under CPUTR 2008).

Dunno Andy but I've had that on comparison sites in the past, sorted my insurance in a 15 min phone call with BeMoto speaking with someone who knew their stuff, what can I say mate?!

I'd agree about the misleading practices Andy. I bet you spend longer sorting out a tracker for your bike than you would've spent speaking to bemoto to save having to buy one (I say this with no idea what they'll quote you, but I don't know of many unhappy outcomes so...).

I had similar, quoted less than 600 so bought and paid for. Went to collect my s thou. By time i got it home i had a voicemail telling me they couldnt honour that price. My new quote was ?1500. Had the same issue with most of the other companies i tried. If id have known the insurance was so high id of bought a 600cc. No regrets now though.

Latest posts

Back