I'm off racing, must want my head looking at.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Star selector shaft is on the gear selector shaft inside the gear box. This is recommended to be replaced on the S1000 after every 2 race meetings. It's basically the cause for the S1000 buggering up its gear boxes and not the shift assist as many people think.The Star selector shaft is now actually a service item with BMW as it wears prematurely..

WSB team changes this before every outing, be it practise, qually or the race.

thanks for the info bud ,that doesnt sound like a cheap job to do either.

Where does all the expences come from for 2-2.5k without any damage , I can't get my head around that one
Entry fee can be anything from £250 to £500 depending on the circuit practice on Friday and Saturday £150 per session. Race fuel £65 for 25 litres quality 2 stroke oil £20 per litre. Practice will require new slicks or its pointless practicing £200 per set and another set for Sunday. Wets £250 a set and wear rate is incredible. Other consumables £20-30 per day. New rings every meeting new piston small end every other meeting every 4 meetings complete bottom end rebuild. Transport to the circuits say an average of £70 towing a large towAvan tralier. Tunning costs and development for both long and short circuit engine's over a course of a year £1200 per engine development never stops, it depends how serious you are a top flight 250 gearbox kart on the pace will cost new £12, 000

Motorsport is not cheap club racing in karts is still around £300 per round on short circuits where enrty fees are only £50 + £25 to practice

Last edited:
wow I never realised carting was so expensive, that's a real eye opener for me id be skint in weeks if I done that lol

Anything that involves racing anything with an engine is expensive lol. It's scary how quickly it get out of hand.

It's about £400 for the star selector replacement from a dealer. I think HM Racing do it for about £250

Anything that involves racing anything with an engine is expensive lol. It's scary how quickly it get out of hand.
Agreed, most bods think it is easy but as you say it can get out of hand, the wanting to win is painful if you cannot afford the costs...

I have resisted the urge to Race (bikes) for just over 20 years now, and I can honestly say im glad I have :pride:

Last edited:
Hopper did you sell your alpha racing tail piece?

I haven't mate, but I do have a spare super stock seat unit kicking about with spare tank sides

f013d5f7f924b7aeb0c1eda534fd30e9.jpg

That's a shame as I was wanting a 2012 tail unit.I have been looking at a full set of race bodywork on ebay for £295 or best offer made to order but I wonder what the quality would be like.

Speak to Mike Fritton at Race Spares UK. Tell him you spoke to Russ from Easy Track. He'll look after you.
His fairngs are brilliant quality and don't cost the earth

Back