Ignition switch problem

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreudianSlip

Reaction score
I'd just returned from the Squires easter egg run up to Maltby in North Yorkshire, put the steed in the garage and then this happened:

https://youtu.be/S0kVbdEpIzk

The only way i could turn it off was with the kill switch. Even then, with the key removed, I could still start the bike!

Sorry for the bad video - I was still sat on the bike and wanted to get a recording of the problem to give to BMW.

Any ideas?

It's most likely the ignition switch (the electrical part under the barrel)
I've seen this exact issue on a couple of other bmws and I believe it's the same part.

The reason you can still start the bike with the key out is that it only reads the immobiliser when you first turn it on, as far as the bikes concerned it's still on.

If your bm dealer has the part in stock it's only 30 mins work to sort it out

Actually

I've just checked the parts fiche, it looks like on the 3rd gen bikes there's a new ignition switch all built into one... So it's most likely that at fault... you'll need a new ignition switch i recon.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 08.11.05.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 08.11.05.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 08.11.14.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 08.11.14.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 105
Brill - the bike is off to BMW this afternoon anyway with quickshifter woes (and my gear indicator display vanishing, combined with not knowing that gear it was in:) ) I've emailed BMW with the video and I think it's *just* still under warranty so hopefully it'll get resolved. Thanks for the info - at least I have a starting point to argue with them about :)

Ignition Switch.....its a common issue....my 2015 ignition switch failed....twice! Also quite common on the XR and R....BMW won't replace just the switch....they insist on replacing the whole ignition and it has to be coded to your bike at the factory....Hopefully they can sort it for you in a few days...they didn't have stock of the part the first time mine failed and my bike was off the road for 8 weeks in summer of 2015!:livid: ....as you can imagine i wasn't best pleased! Hope you get it sorted asap ;)

You guys were spot on.

BMW have just called - dodgy ignition switch... So a new one is on order and should be here in a (max) weeks time. Has to be coded at the factory to the chassis of the bike. I just hope it pisses down for 6 days now... :sadface:

Dealer is getting ignition switch from Germany and are pre coded using chassis number. Bike is 4 months out of warranty but BMW will pay for parts and will cost me ?100 for labour. New item is a new part number so hopefully this switch lasts a bit longer!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dealer is getting ignition switch from Germany and are pre coded using chassis number. Bike is 4 months out of warranty but BMW will pay for parts and will cost me ?100 for labour. New item is a new part number so hopefully this switch lasts a bit longer! Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Simon. Lemme know how it feels once done. My key is really stiff to turn after it came back from the garage, I think it's loosening but will get the garage to fix, not myself. Cheers Hugh

Seems like it?s becoming a common issue...

If anyone on here has their old broken switch (2015 on) can i have it?

I can recondition pre 2015 switches but I haven?t had the chance to look inside a newer one to see if it?s repairable.

Had the ignition module changed out at Motorrad Central yesterday along with 6k service. Module was completed fully under warranty even though I was 4 months out of warranty so happy with the result.

Also had a HP4 race in the showroom so had a drool[emoji2]
840c61d98c915c7a714619bfc0eacfae.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back