Identical failures on two different bikes at the same time... coincidence?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cornishpastie

Reaction score
This really is a shit sandwich, so bear with me...

The good - Me and the missus bought our new bikes in March, mine, S1000RR sport, hers, S1000R sport. We've been on road and track, covered approx. 2500 miles and love them, wonderful bikes!

The bad - After a blast around Dorset, Devon, Somerset and the south at the weekend and before putting them away in the garage I decided to clean them up and oil chains etc... I noticed that the S1000R had oil on the CAT...hmmm...whats causing that? on looking around it appeared that the source was leaking from the water pump! anyhoo, noted it down, cleaned bike and then moved to the S1000RR, my bike. I put her on the stand, starter to have a look and around before cleaning and noticed that there was a large amount of oil, lower right side on the outside of the fairing! On looking around the source of the oil wasn't obvious, but noted it and finished cleaning. The next day called BMW (CW in Dorchester), explained the situation, they sent their driver to collect both bikes and inspect them. I had a call this morning to say that BOTH bikes have failed water pumps, leaking oil! WTF! The S1000R can be repaired today, but the pump for the S1000RR is on back order of one week!

The good - The chaps at CW Dorchester have and are always have great, very friendly and helpful. They collected the bikes, diagnosed the problem and are working on getting them sorted, cannot fault them at all, wonderful service.

Have we just been really unlucky? Both bikes suffering failure of the same component at the same time, whilst same makes different models. Still, I can't fault them when they're working. Great machines!

Not heard of many/any on here. Might be worth a search though.
Damned bad luck either way.
Glad the dealer is being helpful and good to you.

Are they '16 plates? you say New... but new to you? or Brand spanking?

I'm off the car park now to nose.. although it's so dirty, i can't tell.

Keep us informed chap

Seems an unlikely coincidence surely, unless it's a common fault? If it's not then the only common denominator is the dealer as you bought them both new at the same time. Did they overfill with oil before handing them over?

The leaks were noticed at the same time, but that does not mean that they occurred at the same time. However, if both bikes are only 2 months old, absent any tinkering, the cause is almost certainly going to be due to the condition of the bike when it was built/PDI'd. As we are simply idly speculation (as the bikes are under warranty, and are being attended to by the dealer), I would say dodgy batch of gaskets, which are likely to affect other bikes, but which will not yet have been observed in sufficient numbers to have been recognised as an issue. Or it could just be wild coincidence. Or something else.

The leaks were noticed at the same time, but that does not mean that they occurred at the same time. However, if both bikes are only 2 months old, absent any tinkering, the cause is almost certainly going to be due to the condition of the bike when it was built/PDI'd. As we are simply idly speculation (as the bikes are under warranty, and are being attended to by the dealer), I would say dodgy batch of gaskets, which are likely to affect other bikes, but which will not yet have been observed in sufficient numbers to have been recognised as an issue. Or it could just be wild coincidence. Or something else.

Batch defect does make most sense - don't know how many parts the S1000R and RR share/don't share on the engine. I assume the head is different and the ratios in the box, and that's it. So the waterpump would be shared.

Back