HP4 disc and pads

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brake Discs & Pads

I would personally just opt for replacement OEM (Brembo) brake discs and brake pads as they are very good. Try contacting either Lind Motorrad or Allan Jefferies BMW as they are both Forum Vendors and should be able to offer you competitive prices. Alternatively you could try KFM, but note their prices do fluctuate depending on the exchange rate.

In 5 yrs of track riding/racing I've never had warped discs. It's usually the floating discs are crudded up which need a clean.
If you get hold of them, you should be able to yank them clockwise/anti clockwise a couple of millimetres, hence floating....

Last edited:
My 15 RR warped its OEM discs on the HP wheels on my first track day.

Assuming it's not a warranty claim, then the OEM discs and pads are indeed a good option. However I believe the Brembo Sieri Ori discs are 1 mm thicker than the OEM discs and thus might be worth considering.
OEM pads are also good, but so are Brembo SC compounds

You can feel it on braking. Had it at 90 and used one finger and you can feel the shudder. Brake harder and the handle bars start to go. Also squealing badly when braking at slow speeds. Can't find anywhere that sell the hp4 ones as BMW say they're different to the s1000rr.

HP Front Brake Discs

The HP4 front brake discs are identical to those found on the newer S1000RRs fitted with HP forged wheels. The discs fitted to S1000RRs equipped only with OEM cast wheels are different. The HP discs are only available from BMW dealerships as they are made specifically for BMW by Brembo.

You can feel it on braking. Had it at 90 and used one finger and you can feel the shudder. Brake harder and the handle bars start to go. Also squealing badly when braking at slow speeds. Can't find anywhere that sell the hp4 ones as BMW say they're different to the s1000rr.

One of the front discs on my HP4 warped in the second year of ownership (the dealer measured the discs and confirmed the fault). I take it the shudder goes away when the bike slows below a certain speed?

Bit of a question mark over the squealing, I would try giving the pads a really good clean as well as the rotors, as suggested it could be the lack of free play in the discs or a build up of material on the disc surface causing the effect of warping. For what the replacements will cost an hour or two of elbow grease is worth a try.

Brembo

For reference Brembo Serie Oro, HP and OEM front discs are all 320 x 5.0 mm.

Warped Discs

You'll soon know if you have a warped brake disc as you will feel pulsing through the lever under normal braking and at higher speeds you will feel a distinct juddering sensation. You can easily check for warped discs by using a dial gauge and a vernier caliper to measure the thickness of the discs.

Big thumbs up to Lind Motorrad. Saved me a good ?120 on the replacements. That's right RyS, forged wheels need the more expensive rotors. Trust me to buy a HP4. :frown-new:

Uneven carbon build up on the rotors (discs) from the pads can make it feel like your discs have warped. I'd clean the discs with a brillo and double check if you don't have a gauge to check them.

- Sent from Mobile

They're bought now. BMW gauged them when it was serviced. I'd hate to think they'd lie about it. I'll keep the originals and get them checked.

They're bought now. BMW gauged them when it was serviced. I'd hate to think they'd lie about it. I'll keep the originals and get them checked.

Fair enough fella. The inference from the thread was that you had judder and concluded it was warped discs without having them checked. They wouldn't have made it up so they must be :).

Fair enough fella. The inference from the thread was that you had judder and concluded it was warped discs without having them checked. They wouldn't have made it up so they must be :).

Thats my bad. Thought I had mentioned that. Looking at the sheet it says badly warped but no gauge measurement. I hope they gauged them. Ah they're bought now.

Latest posts

Back