Hi - a total noob

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsail

Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning on get an S1000RR. Never owned an IL4 having only owned twins before, a Ducati 848 and a KTM RC8R. Looking to learn some more about Bavaria's finest so any advice welcome!

Welcome redsail, I used to own an RC8, great bike but very different characteristics v an S1k. More powerful everywhere particularly at the top end and a lot more compact than the KTM, not quite as spacious but comfortable and practical. Then of course depending on which generation of RR you go for you'll far more electronic trickery than you're used to, a quickshifter etc etc. All models are superb but the latest 'gen3' version is the one to go for if you can afford it, I recommend taking a test ride on one to get a feel for how this particular inline 4 feels. What's your budget?

Last edited:
Hey MacRR, thanks for the info. I'm used to TC and QS on the Ducati and find them very useful but you're right the RC8R has nothing at all to save your bacon when you run out of talent! The '8' is extremely roomy and comfy, would be a great touring bike actually. But its also very very easy to ride. I do track days and some road riding and think an IL4 with a longer smoother power delivery will be a bit more forgiving. I love twins but they can be a handful on track - it feels like I'm in the wrong gear most of the time. I'm going to try a bunch of iL4s to compare but the S1k seem to tick all the right boxes.

Later model with active suspension would be nice, but would be happy with a 2nd gen (2012?), or even a 1st if price was right. I'd like to spend under 9k if possible but I need to familiarise myself with the different specs. And test ride one of course ;)

I do love the RC8R - would have one in my garage for sh**s and giggles over most of the Duc's and the 848/899 would be the Duc to get the nod. But not when my garage can only have one, then I just stick with the do everything well Beemer.

Biggest difference will be the engine braking and midrange torque. You definitely need an extended test ride to get to grips with it and how IL4's are different.

848 (Corse SE in this case) is a beautiful bike, feels like a swiss watch. But very hard to turn in stock form. Makes it really involving on the road, but a bit of a pain on track. I've ridden a daytona triple (bike had been lowered so handled like arse), and the previous R1 but not for long and my riding wasn't very good back then. Will be testing a gsxr soon (no rider aids) so I'll have some comparison for the beemer at least.

The 8 always gets a lot of attention. Its a striking looking machine.

Prob worth blagging a go on the previous model ZX10, I'd think that would be a better benchmark v the RR, although of course once you've ridden the Beemer you won't want anything else :friendly_wink:

Hi Redsail
Welcome to the site! I only bought my first s1k rr 3 weeks ago. I very nearly bought 2104 899 though just couldn't get on with it after having a very lengthy test ride. I knew it was the rr I really wanted so bought a 2013 sport and it fits like a glove. Feels just right and wickedly quick-that's before I've done the exhaust.
Only advice I can give is that you won't be disappointed.
Hope you get one sorted soon...

Hi Redsail.. if your after an RR beemer then you wont be disapointed with any model... enjoy and welcome to the forum

stuarts phone

Welcome to the site Redsail, as Stuart says you won't be disappointed by any BMW, newer ones have slightly different geometry and the DDC and downshifter on the third generation are the biggest change.

Good luck with the search.

JimmyMac

Hi mate welcome.

Having had the BMW for just a week now all I can say is wow. Its a 2012 and great. I can only comment on the RC8r as my mate has one and the BMW is more refined in my opinion and does the job just that bit better....

Thanks guys.

Good point on a ZX10 - don't know why but they never appeal to me, must not like green very much ;)

I tried and 899 too, it would have cost me 4k + my 848 to jump on one, but it wasn't 4k better than the 848, (apart from quicker handling) and less involving to ride on the road.

Good to hear that any of the S1k series are good bikes and there are no dogs. I don't necessarily need latest and greatest, but I do deffo want TC and QS. Did they all come with that? AFAICT there's regular and 'sport' models. The latter being the ones to go for I guess?

Sports have the gizmos.
2012/13 facelift is worth the extra imo.

- Sent from Mobile

Latest posts

Back