Hello! Upgrading from K5 gsxr1000

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krazyuniks

Reaction score
Hello,

After having the gsxr for a few years, and loving it, I am looking to move onto a modern steed with all the trick bits. I am looking at a 2015+ with all the electronics and forged wheels if possible. I may consider new but i have seen this which looks good value, what do you all reckon?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252726804632

Thanks and hope to be a proud owner very soon!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Hi, and welcome aboard.

Thats almost exactly the same as my bike .. I upgraded from a FZ1 (big jump!) and wow, I've been blown away every single time I've been out on mine so far. I hope that feeling never subsides.

I think you'll have fantastic fun on that bike. Have you had a test ride on one? I'd love to hear your comparison between that and your K5.

Welcome to the forum, that bike looks good vfm but doesn't have the forged wheels you're after

Hi and welcome along
Nice bike
Just make sure it's had its proper 18000 service as it's the big one as in expensive
Best of luck

Thanks everyone.

I can live without forged wheels, and upgrade later. What I would like is DTC and DDC and ABS Pro. I have read ABS Pro comes standard on 15+, but because it is a sport model does that include DTC and DDC as well, or are those add ons?

Cheers

I believe ABS pro was only included with 16+ bikes. I think a few of the guys on here have had it retro fitted to their 15's for around the 380 pound mark. I will likely have mine upgraded later this year.

DDC should be included with all sport models. If the left fork leg has a wire coming from it then you are in business. It will seem weird when you sit on the bike with the ignition off as the suspension is effectively locked in place.

DTC is only available as part of the pro package. All models have a traction control system but the pro package gives you cruise control, LED indicators, DTC and riding mode pro. Effectively DTC has the button on the left hand control to go +7/-7 on the traction control when in Slick and User mode (part of the riding mode pro and unlocked with the Slick Plug installed).

Looking at that bike on ebay it does have the 2 buttons on the left control and cruise (all on the same cluster) and so does have the pro package.

As powders said, it is worth checking the valve clearance service has been done (due at 18000 miles). If this has BMW history a call to that dealer that completed the service should get you the answer. I believe the service is around 800 quid.

Most of the bikes out there will be full spec (minus ABS pro for 15's) as these bikes are usually taken new on a PCP deal. These options increase the initial cost but also lift the future value and thus the cost difference on PCP can be quite small thus leading to most people speccing the options.

It is harder to find early models with forged wheels. BMW completely misjudged the demand for them (people spec'd them on PCP). They took the orders but could not fulfill them. As a result they offered the money back as well as credit towards other options on the bike. Mine has the standard cast wheels. Are forged better, absolutely. Would myself as a mere mortal benefit from them...probably as a placebo. As you say an upgrade later to BST/Dynamag/OZ/Marchesini etc wheels can be done later but it will be much cheaper to find a bike with them fitted.

Great machine you came from mate...You won't be disappointed with the thou RR. Most of us on here have had more than a few litre machines before buying an RR

Stuart

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the hello's and advice, much appreciated.

I spoke with the seller today, he wasn't sure if the bike has the new "adjustable traction control". I hadn't even heard of this, unless he meant Dynamic Traction Control. Apparently it has everything else but it was after hours so he is going to call me tomorrow to go over everything, including the 18k service. How many TC options are there? Basically I want all the electronic goodies if I am going for this bike. I can and will retrofit ABS Pro if it doesn't have it. Thanks again!

ahh, another thing is it won't have a warranty compared to the bmw used approved models, which are looking about ?1500 to ?2000 more expensive. How important does everyone think a warranty would be on a 2 year old bike with 20k miles?

The bike does indeed have DTC and cruise control etc. In the picture of the "dash", on the left hand clip on, there is the SLICK +/- button. That is to adjust the TC in Slick and User mode. It also has the cruise control just above it with OFF/ON and the arrow pointing at the little rev counter/speedo.

Warranty is subjective. The older something gets/more mileage it does the greater the risk of something serious failing. It is essentially insurance, if something fails its great to have, if nothing ever does then its a waste of cash. Oh, to have the power of forsight haha.

Haha, good point. If everything seems spot on i might take the risk. Thanks for the clarification re dtc.

hello, and welcome. i myself was a gixer junkie. I had 2 K5 1000's and was panicking what to buy next then along come BMW. :) no looking back. :)

hello, and welcome. i myself was a gixer junkie. I had 2 K5 1000's and was panicking what to buy next then along come BMW. :) no looking back. :)
Nice one, cant wait! And for slightly warmer weather.

Haha, good point. If everything seems spot on i might take the risk. Thanks for the clarification re dtc.

If it was my money I'd put a call into Alan Jeffries and ask them about the bike history, and check how much the BMW extended warranty would be whilst you're at it. Generally the bikes are very reliable, but if you have a problem there is the potential for a big bill. IMO the warranty is worth the piece of mind :). If you do speak to them, mention the forum, they are a forum vendor so it may help your cause.

As your buying it from a dealer it will have some kind we warranty 3 - 6 months probably, I'd try to get him to increase this as part of the deal
Worth a go

Latest posts

Back