Hello from sunny Scotland

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afc

Reaction score
Hello!

I have recently made the jump from a Suzuki SV650 to an RR. It's a fairly big power jump so I'm taking it very easy.

I have the sport with the performance pack and everything stock (so far :applouse:)I picked the red and black 2016 colour because it doesn't seem very popular :applouse:

After 300miles on the clock, I stalled the bike at some lights and it wouldn't start again. Pulled it over and played about a bit, sounded like battery. Called bmw breakdown, they came out and it started first time. Sigh.... Knew it'd happen again so I carried on waiting for the inevitable.

All ready to take my son on a ride out a week later and it wouldn't start again. Called breakdown again and this time it remained broken. Battery was showing as faulty even tho it wasn't flat. This was replaced and it has been fine since. Apparently batteries can come alive again!

Incidentally, I got an alarm on the bike but the bike came with that tiny battery. I think it should have come with the larger one which is what they replaced it with.

I love this bike... best thing about it is the quickshifter which took a while to get used to but now I can never go back

I have already found this forum really useful so thanks a lot to the knowledgeable contributors

Cheers

Welcome mate, pleased your battery issue sorted, enjoy your new bike. If you regularly carry a pillion stick a Renntec grab rail on, much better than fannying about grabbing onto the rider

hi mate, unfortunate start to ownership but the only way is up! welcome and enjoy the forum

Hi afc, welcome to the site, you have chosen a great bike in a fantastic colour.
Does your son like the upgrade?

JimmyMac

Thanks for the welcomes

I was raging when it wouldn't start and called the dealership with a mild hint of anger in my voice. Knowing it was just the battery and not some more obscure electrical fault was comforting though.

The dealership said I should be using Optimate. I replied "IT HAS ONLY DONE 300 MILES". They said 80% of their customers use an Optimate. I replied "IT HAS ONLY DONE 300 MILES."

I'll probably get the Optimate anyway :biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new:

These bikes use a canbus system which is a pita sometimes. If the battery voltage drops just a little the ecu can stop the bike from starting. The batteries do tend to suddenly die rather than cling to life for a while before expiring. The older ones tend to last around 3 years. I keep my bikes always on trickle charge when they're in the garage but you shouldn't need to if you are riding it regularly.

Anyway hope it all goes well.

Latest posts

Back