Hello from prospective RR owner!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan13

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Looking to finally get me a RR soon. Currently have a K1300S 30th Anniversary (had a K12S before that) which is an amazing bike.
But having done 3 track days on it now, including the Tyco day at Donington last August, I really need to stop ragging it and get a 'proper' sports bike!
My local BMW dealer (Chandlers in Brighton) are an excellent bunch of chaps and have kindly let me test all incarnations of the S1k.
The only one I haven't tried is the earlier model which is what I intend on getting.
There's no way I'd get rid of the K as it carries me and the missus all over the country, so can't stretch to a new RR.

Are there any issues with older models to look for when shopping about?
I'm thinking something standard with less than say 15-20k miles, although a de-cat pipe is appealing but any other advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum.

The '12 onwards bikes were revised (v2) from the original so I'd try and get one of them if you can stretch to it. Nothing wrong with the v1 bikes but just my opinion. If you are buying from the dealer you will be into warranty so nothing much to worry about. Sthou has the same switch gear gremlins as the k bike, so make sure they have been sorted, also some suffer with sump rot from winter use, but as long as it is straight and warrantied you're not going to go far wrong.

Bit like a car, if it looks like it's had a hard life it probably has....

a decat pipe is easily installed if not already in place but it will depend on what end can you want as to what will fit.

Welcome aboard
You probably know but the big service is due at 18k miles which involves valve clearances so it's quite expensive so bare that in mind as that's around the mileage you were looking at. Also if you do go for the 2010-11 be careful if there's a ticking noise coming from engine on start up and when driving as this is a buggered camshaft.
All that said you won't be disappointed but you should always buy from a dealer preferably a bmw one as they offer a 1 year warranty .
Happy shopping.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
Think I'll definitely going for a BMW main dealer now.
At least in this part of the country I have the luxury of several main dealers being within an hours ride or so.
Not that i'm too worried about buying from a distance as I got the K12s from Leeds without seeing it, but sports bikes are a bit different as they can be treated a bit more harshly.
Watch this space! :)

Hi Dan, welcome to the site. As has been said any bike from a dealer is going to be fine, they have the best choose of bike to be in their showroom so cherry pick them from national stock. Good luck with your search.

JimmyMac

Welcome to the site and can imagine there must be some good deals to be had as still in winter....good luck finding the right bike at a great price.

Latest posts

Back