Heated vest a good idea?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zxcv12

Reaction score
2016 s1, with the bigger battery as it has an alarm. Will it cope with a heated vest drawing straight from the battery? I don't want to overload the system as it all seems a bit fragile...
It'll only be running when the engines running. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I?ve been researching these lately and that?s pretty low compared to some I?ve seen. Is that either the Keis x10 or v501 by any chance? I?m thinking of taking the plunge on a heated vest too and on the same bike so will be interested in your discoveries...

Yes it was the Keis, I'm just thinking how great it would be to have one, but am mindful of the heated grips working at the same time and asking too much of the system. I don't want to end up paying for a new alternator/generator!

I have a Keis heated waistcoat and its sodding marvellous. I rode 290 miles back from Cornwall to home yesterday and arrived quite late and it was proper chilly (we actually had the first frost of the autumn last night. The heating was very welcome! I have a 2017 RR and wired the connector straight to the battery. I was running my heated grips and also have a satnav wired in too. No problems at all.

Never had a chance to look into this yet as busy changing fluids in the tractor for Spain next week. Bertie seems to have road tested it for a good while though, seems a goer.
If it doesn't come with an in-line fuse I would put one in it for 3 amps purely in case the jacket developed a fault, to protect the battery.
My heated jacket of years gone by was a newspaper stuffed in the front, lol.

JimmyMac

Never had a chance to look into this yet as busy changing fluids in the tractor for Spain next week. Bertie seems to have road tested it for a good while though, seems a goer.
If it doesn't come with an in-line fuse I would put one in it for 3 amps purely in case the jacket developed a fault, to protect the battery.

JimmyMac
I'm fairly sure it already has an inline fuse built into the switch/heat controller, but I'll check.
It's an age thing, I used to ride with newspaper down the front, and two pairs of socks under my Dunlop green flash trainers! If it was wet too, a plastic bag on top of the socks before the trainers of course...

JimmyMac
They definitely have an inline fuse in the supplied connector cable. I guarantee that you will be grinning ear to ear as you ride along all toasty warm by the way.

I first got put onto heated clothing when I got chatting to a Triumph test rider whilst waiting for a ferry at Santander many years ago. He was on a prototype speed triple and reckoned he rode maybe 30k miles per year and that heated clothing meant being comfy without dressing like the Michelin man. I bought a Keis waistcoat as soon as I got back and have used one n most bikes since. I rode all through last winter on my XR and the Keis made it comfy (under a full Rukka suit to be fair)

I?ve just put my Gerbing heated coat and gloves back into service. Mega kit. Wouldn?t ride in winter without them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've got nothing to worry about. I ride with a heated jacket, heated seat, GoPro charger, cell phone charger, radar detector, an extra brake light, and an HID conversion all at once, never had a problem.

Interesting thread and thanks for posting. I took the plunge today and bought a Keiss waistcoat from Infinity in York, ?120 (last year’s colour, black). Didnt take long to get the wires fitted, it comes with 4 fuses depending on the amount of kit being used, will be testing it out in the coming weeks, initial quick test was impressive at how quickly it warmed up.

Yes indeed. Good thread. Never thought of heated clothing, but have to admit that the heated grips make HUGE difference in the cold....sure that a vest as well would be even better.

I?ll be getting a couple of vests one way or the other for me and the other half. I?m hoping there will be some deals at Motorcycle live but if not I?m not planning on yet another winter without at my age!

You've got nothing to worry about. I ride with a heated jacket, heated seat, GoPro charger, cell phone charger, radar detector, an extra brake light, and an HID conversion all at once, never had a problem.

Bloody hell Aaron, you forgot the trailer board that you need for the tow behind generator!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good effort, what kind of radar detector have you got?

JimmyMac

Well I can confirm that the Keis heated vest is sodding marvelous! Cold morning today around 4deg but it was like sitting in a warm bath. Definitely recommended if you ride in winter and are more senior in age. Perfick

Last edited by a moderator:
Great stuff. I am always amazed so few people have tried heated clothing. It makes a world of a difference and if you wear the vest just as a thermal layer you can switch it on if the weather gets colder too so you avoid having to layer up too much and getting over hot or uncomfortable.

Well I can confirm that the Keis heated vest is sodding marvelous! Cold morning today around 4deg but it was like sitting in a warm bath. Definitely recommended if you ride in winter and are more senior in age. Perfick

Latest posts

Back