Gsxr 1000 k5 v 1000rr Sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatstick

Reaction score
Hi All,
As some might of read in other threads I am replacing my 1000K5 which I have owned from new.
I decided after all this time I would go and get a proper weight and not what I have read over the years and see how it has advance in 10years of bike development compares to my bike when I get it in March.
I took to local scrap yard with about 3/4 a tank of fuel and it came out at 180kg. So do you think BM will be about the same or heavier.

Dean

The S1000RR will be heavier. My last bike was a K6 1000 I'd had from new, I had 2 test rides on the BMW and I'm still not convinced it has a better road engine. The chassis/brakes/electronics are what made me switch, plus my K6 had done 24k and felt a bit tired.

The S1000RR will be heavier. My last bike was a K6 1000 I'd had from new, I had 2 test rides on the BMW and I'm still not convinced it has a better road engine. The chassis/brakes/electronics are what made me switch, plus my K6 had done 24k and felt a bit tired.

Mine only done 11k and that's the only reason I am changing is the electronics. I rode a 2010rr when was knew and my k5 was better and like you say had a better road engine

Dean

I bought a new S1000RR in Sept 2013, it is better than the 2010 model but I still miss the grunt of my K6. TBH if mine had only done 11k I'd probably have put

Ohlins forks and lighter wheels on and kept it.

The new one is suppose to be a big leap again and better electronics again and DDC

Dean

Did you haggle ? It would have to be a big improvement to be worth an extra ?4k to me.

list is ?15.250
t

Dean i have a 2005 gsxr1000 built to a high spec with ohlins etc and i have a 2012 s1000rr built to same spec meaning it has cartridges in the front, ttx rear and a full system and tune. i Can honestly say there is no comparison in my opinion. The s1000rr is by far a better bike. The chassis is amazing especially when set up right. The power of the s1000rr is immense. When it is tuned right the midrange becomes strong and the top even stronger. The power of the beemer is different from the others i have had. it is like a 2 stroke in a way and when you get to feel the way the motor spins up and you twist that wrist in the right way to tease it out the riding experience is the best. Fourth gear after 8-9k is sublime. The bike in my opinion has a sensitive setup, therefore when changing things such as levers and rear sets it is important to set them right more so than other bikes. In my experience the gearbox will cause a headache if these things are not spot on.

I have ridden the 2015 s1000rr for an hour and can say this in my opinion. The bike is in no way superior to the 2012 and up bikes. The throttle seems a lot different as in smoother off the 5-10% throttle. However after a dyno tune on the 2012 the throttle is perfect . The shifting down is a weird sensation as there is no feeling to signify you are down a gear which can be a problem. This is a new habit which must be learnt and i am happy without it. I believe there are many 2012 and up bikes out there with many mods and low miles going for around 10k and to me this is excellent value for money. i would not spend and extra 5k on a new model. I do not mean to offend any new owners out there and keep in mind this is based off an hour ride, not having owned one. If i were you Dean i would keep the k5 as they will be worth good money in another 10-20yrs and get a beemer ! Life is short :)

t

Dean i have a 2005 gsxr1000 built to a high spec with ohlins etc and i have a 2012 s1000rr built to same spec meaning it has cartridges in the front, ttx rear and a full system and tune. i Can honestly say there is no comparison in my opinion. The s1000rr is by far a better bike. The chassis is amazing especially when set up right. The power of the s1000rr is immense. When it is tuned right the midrange becomes strong and the top even stronger. The power of the beemer is different from the others i have had. it is like a 2 stroke in a way and when you get to feel the way the motor spins up and you twist that wrist in the right way to tease it out the riding experience is the best. Fourth gear after 8-9k is sublime. The bike in my opinion has a sensitive setup, therefore when changing things such as levers and rear sets it is important to set them right more so than other bikes. In my experience the gearbox will cause a headache if these things are not spot on.

I have ridden the 2015 s1000rr for an hour and can say this in my opinion. The bike is in no way superior to the 2012 and up bikes. The throttle seems a lot different as in smoother off the 5-10% throttle. However after a dyno tune on the 2012 the throttle is perfect . The shifting down is a weird sensation as there is no feeling to signify you are down a gear which can be a problem. This is a new habit which must be learnt and i am happy without it. I believe there are many 2012 and up bikes out there with many mods and low miles going for around 10k and to me this is excellent value for money. i would not spend and extra 5k on a new model. I do not mean to offend any new owners out there and keep in mind this is based off an hour ride, not having owned one. If i were you Dean i would keep the k5 as they will be worth good money in another 10-20yrs and get a beemer ! Life is short :)

Lol I have an RG500 special for kicks and worth money. The only reason I chose the 2015 rr sport is electrics as don't think any other bike has anything over the k5 other than maybe RSV4 factory and there has been a few issues with them and if was going to use with with electric turned of then defo nothing better than the K5.

Dean

Lol I have an RG500 special for kicks and worth money. The only reason I chose the 2015 rr sport is electrics as don't think any other bike has anything over the k5 other than maybe RSV4 factory and there has been a few issues with them and if was going to use with with electric turned of then defo nothing better than the K5.

Dean

I ran my K6 for a while after I bought the BMW but even with the DTC turned off it was quicker in the twisty stuff. The K5/6 was the best 1000 up to 2009 but then the R1 and the Fireblade matched it, and the ZX10 and the BMW moved things on. That wasn't about electronics they are just better bikes.

That's cool Dean. I've just traded in my K8 for the 15RR which I've had from new. The k8 did everything for me. Trip to Assen and a couple of track weeks in Spain etc. Be interesting how it compares.

Dean

Looks like we are coming from bikes with no electronics. I wonder what we all will make of the BM? I'll probably be reluctant to change the modes as I'll be fidgeting about with them for ages to get used to them, and that's just the heated grips lol

Looks like we are coming from bikes with no electronics. I wonder what we all will make of the BM? I'll probably be reluctant to change the modes as I'll be fidgeting about with them for ages to get used to them, and that's just the heated grips lol

Ye like coming from a ZX spectrum to an Playstation 4 :)))))))) Cant wait and is only money cant take it with me.

Exactly mate. Some folk round me think life is for ever.....daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Live it now I say..

Absolutely, a friend of mine has cancer and it's put everything into perspective. Didn't stop him doing a track day with me last year though!
But yes, my outlook has changed now.
F**k it, go for it lads.

Latest posts

Back