Good morning from the North East!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleRDurham

Reaction score
Morning all.

Allow me to introduce myself. I am Dan, and I live in the North East near Durham. Been riding bikes for a decade with a full licence, and before that 125s.

Had a variety of things over the years, GS125, TZR125, NS125R, SV650S, ZX7-R, VFR800Fi, RST1000 Futura, R1200GS.

Been without a bike since I sold my GS last autumn, but I've been itchy since and on Saturday SWMBO practically dragged me into the dealership. Ordered a 2016 RR Sport with the Performance Pack in motorsport colours and I am excited. First ever brand new bike, and I can't wait. Trepidation associated with first brand new bike (and the fact that being a shortarse, I always have to adapt since no-one makes bikes for the short-legged anymore - or none I want to ride, anyway), but excitement too.

I'm awaiting a call today to confirm delivery date (there's one in build which might be available within a week or two, but otherwise it could be early June - boo!)

Thinking practically, I'm now on the lookout for crash protection (or rather, drop protection, since I will *inevitably* lay the bike on its side more than once getting it out of the garage - although I managed not to drop the GS once in the year and a half I owned it, to be fair), and insurance - which is so far proving STUPIDLY expensive having been used to paying ?90 a year for the GS and now staring down the barrel of >?400 a year.

Hope to learn much and laugh a little here.

I'm 5/8 and manage no probs feet almost flat

I'm working on the basis that I could cope with a GS, I've had heavier bikes like the ZX7R in the past, and if I were to worry about every little thing that might stop me doing anything, I'd never leave the house!

Dealer's been on the phone to me - they've got a bike from that was on order for their other branch, which will be available for me this week.

Excited now. Better clean up my leathers, they've not been out for a couple of years while I've been riding the GS!

Hi, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new bike purchase :).

If you can manage a GS you can manage the sthou easily.

;)

Hi, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new bike purchase :).

If you can manage a GS you can manage the sthou easily.

;)

Thanks for that, I tend not to worry too much. As long as I can touch the floor, I'll be OK. Maybe means getting off and pushing a bit more often, but who cares.

Now just to get some insurance sorted, and I'll be ready...

I'm working on the basis that I could cope with a GS, I've had heavier bikes like the ZX7R in the past, and if I were to worry about every little thing that might stop me doing anything, I'd never leave the house!

Welcome mate, great choice of bike, its a while since I owned one but from what I remember you'll find the S1000 much lighter, narrower and easier to manage than a ZX7, you'll have no problems at all :friendly_wink:

Just to go back to your original post, crash protection, there's a nice choice; R&G, Lightech, Rizoma, BMW HP (Gilles), and more, depending on budget. The vendors areas on the forum have most things covered if you're looking for aftermarket addons. I use the R&G aeros on the road and have never tested them. I think front fork crash protectors and swingarm bobbins also help for what they cost - plus you'll be back to a paddock stand instead of a centre stand :).

I doth my cap to you on keeping your GS upright for the whole time you've had it. I've dropped my GSA twice and I'm 3 inches taller than you :).

Last edited:
Just to go back to your original post, crash protection, there's a nice choice; R&G, Lightech, Rizoma, BMW HP (Gilles), and more, depending on budget. The vendors areas on the forum have most things covered if you're looking for aftermarket addons. I use the R&G aeros on the road and have never tested them. I think front fork crash protectors and swingarm bobbins also help for what they cost - plus you'll be back to a paddock stand instead of a centre stand :).

I doth my cap to you on keeping your GS upright for the whole time you've had it. I've dropped my GSA twice and I'm 3 inches taller than you :).

Aye, thanks for the recommendations. I've sorted some fork and swingarm bungs, neither being pricey. I've ordered three sets of main bungs, from different manufacturers and at different costs... Just because I don't know which I'll trust until I see them and I can always send some back. Ordered paddock stand bobbins too, and a set of alloy engine casing protectors which were cheap and may well be nasty, but I'm an experimental soul and I'll give anything a try.

Keeping the GS upright was a challenge - I only had one occasion when I came close to dropping it, and that was in the garage getting it off the stand. Managed to strain it back upright, but pulled a whole host of muscles in the process, some of which still give me a bit of gyp now. I also got run into once, by a van in June 2014 who smacked me in the rear (or-EGR) at 30mph whilst I was stationary at a roundabout - amazingly, I saw him coming out of the corner of my eye so I was kinda prepared, and managed to sort of ride away as he hit me. Kept the bike upright and pulled over.

Hi from sunny Scotland, I'm only 5'8" with a 29 inch inside leg and never worry about dropping my GSA or anything else for that matter. Lol
Keep positive and positive things happen.

Welcome

JimmyMac

5'7" my god that's tall, I'm 5'6" and have no problems at all mate, welcome to the the site, if you can manoeuvre a gs then s1k will be a breeze, if not when your at traffic lights just lean against the car at the side of you.

You joke, but I have actually done that from time to time when I've been alongside the odd bus...

Hi from sunny Scotland, I'm only 5'8" with a 29 inch inside leg and never worry about dropping my GSA or anything else for that matter. Lol
Keep positive and positive things happen.

Welcome

JimmyMac

Dead right. Sounds like you're similar in leg length to me, and I never worry about it.

Funny how when I was growing up people always used to take the piss out of my height, but since I've got older I've noticed something... I hear a lot more tall people complain about the problems they have because of their height than I ever hear shorter people complaining!

Latest posts

Back