Getting to that time again...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loupe

Reaction score
Over winter I used to take the battery out of my Fireblade and store it in the house as I don't have power where my bike is kept.
I was going to do the same with the BMW but with all the electronics on it, would I have to leave it on a trickle charge connected to the bike?

I am pretty sure you can't leave the bike without the battery on it for a prolonged period of time without it affecting settings and ecu memory.

I would recommend a trickle charger if you can run power to it somehow. or bring the bike in :). or go out and start her up once every couple of weeks :).

I was told there is a secondary power cell that holds a charge for a "period of time" which alows for things like alarms , immobizers etc to be ok. How much of that is true god only knows

Yep I was thinking the same about the memory and settings. The last thing I want is a recovery trip to the dealer in March/ April when it doesn't start when I replace the battery.
I don't want to find out I've erased softwear?!
I think it's easier to endure the wrath of my wife and leave it inside over winter. :concern:

Loupe, would you be kind enough to ask the dealers if they can think of a reason why it would be bad? Would be good to have a definitive answer as I will probably have to do the same.

Loupe, would you be kind enough to ask the dealers if they can think of a reason why it would be bad? Would be good to have a definitive answer as I will probably have to do the same.

I was at the dealers to have the engine sliders tightened as there was a slight weep coming from the casings.
Ive spoken to one of the technicians regarding removing the battery and he sees no problem with removing it for the winter as all the bikes arrive with the terminals to the battery disconnected from the factory and can lie in the showroom like that.
He also advised putting the bike on paddock stands or inflating the tyres if left on the side stand for a long period.
Looks like I'll not be leaving the bike in the house and covering it in tinsel this year....

I take my battery out every winter and put it on trickle charge in the house. Done it for two winters now with no problems.

Thanks for getting the answer loupe, I was 100% wrong on that one. Still, don't tell er indoors and get the bike in anyway ;).

Over winter I used to take the battery out of my Fireblade and store it in the house as I don't have power where my bike is kept.
I was going to do the same with the BMW but with all the electronics on it, would I have to leave it on a trickle charge connected to the bike?
hey Loupe....the bike is fine sitting without a battery...the only thing that will need resetting when you reconnect the battery is the dashboard clock. I asked the same question to my dealer when my ignition switch failed, presuming something could go wrong with the electronics, but mine sat without a battery for 8 weeks while waiting for a replacement ignition without issue ;-)

Latest posts

Back