Gear shift assist intermittent issue

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastBike

Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone experienced any intermittent issues with downshifts using the gear shift assist? I'm just back from Jerez and 10 min into a session the gear shift assist would stop working into "Dry Sack" and "Angel Nieto" all the other corners were OK. I tried resetting the QS by running it through the gears on the paddock stand, checked the slack in the clutch cable and made sure that the micro switches activated correctly. I'm a little stumped to be honest. I called my local dealer and they're telling me to not close the throttle on downshifts which is a concerning bit of advice.

Thanks in advance !

Are you doing more than one down shift into them?
Are you using race shift?
Which way do the corners go?

Both right handers, Dry Sack is the hairpin at the end of the back straight (back 3/4 gears) and Angel Nieto is the first right hander after the quick double lefts (back 1 gear usually). Was it just the autoblip not working? Take it you could still manually engage clutch and downshift?

I'm on my first track outing in a couple of weeks so would be interested to know.

Last edited:
my guess is that your not dropping the throttle fully on those corners, if it was working ok everywhere else i doubt its a faulty qs.

Could be an issue with not coming off the lever enough before trying for the next gear down?
But yes the clutch is always there...

- Sent from Mobile

Good to know, I once crashed at Sito Pons when the bike had a false neutral and wouldn't go back into gear!

Luckily had enough space to scrub some speed off before hitting the gravel :topsy_turvy:

Lever adjustment might be a good call, particularly if you're not using reverse shift pattern.

Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

I'm running race shift.

It's all right hand corners, but then most are on a clockwise track so not sure if that's significant ?

Coming into Dry Sack in 5th I'd close the throttle and break just after the bridge and and go for 4th and it wouldn't select so I'd end up using the clutch shifting all the way to 2nd.

Looking at the manual the Auto Blip won't engage over 14,200 rpm so maybe I'm hitting this limit, I'll have to setup the GoPro to see what the rev gauge is doing.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anything similar happens at Aragon next month I'll let you know, there's 2 of us going out there with BMWs.

I run race shift, the other lad road.

Last edited:
Back