Gear lever adjustment

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zxcv12

Reaction score
I need to move the gear lever down a bit, but anyone got any idea how to remove the qs cable from the block? I can?t turn the shift rod without doing that! It?s a 2018, and that cable is on their really tight. The only other thing to do is to adjust via the spline at the top, but trying to avoid that.

Why do you need to remove cable? You just undo the screw in a ball mount if you need some free play while adjusting the gear lever.

Why do you need to remove cable? You just undo the screw in a ball mount if you need some free play while adjusting the gear lever.
That?s done it thanks. I was trying to turn the shift rod, didn?t realise I could just screw in the bottom ball mount D?OH!

Well that?s a lot better. Far more positive upshift, no lurching with a hesistant shift. And no more having to lift my foot of the peg to get on top of the gear lever to downshift.

Well that?s a lot better. Far more positive upshift, no lurching with a hesistant shift. And no more having to lift my foot of the peg to get on top of the gear lever to downshift.

yep, 99% of problems with BMW QS on roads is incorrect fittment.

Unfortunately things gets little bit more complicated when you're out on track

yep, 99% of problems with BMW QS on roads is incorrect fittment.

Unfortunately things gets little bit more complicated when you're out on track
There?s no unfortunately, the std Qshifter/assist is ace on track if you get the ergonomics right. But I run in race mode, and am very happy with the std set up. Pro mode, well yes, I can see there are gains to be made but I?m not that committed!

There?s no unfortunately, the std Qshifter/assist is ace on track if you get the ergonomics right. But I run in race mode, and am very happy with the std set up. Pro mode, well yes, I can see there are gains to be made but I?m not that committed!

Nah its not. shifting into 2nd is a gamble with neutral. shifting into 1st is somewhat out of the question completely.

Nah its not. shifting into 2nd is a gamble with neutral. shifting into 1st is somewhat out of the question completely.
Yeah but where do you use 1st? That?s just for getting out of a hairpin. I have used first on track but it usually ends in a lot of tyre smoke going in, and an uncertain roll on/high side going out. First is just for pulling away, unless you?re geared for the that specific track, and you know what you?re doing. Which I don?t!

Does anyone know where to get different shift rod lengths?

I need a 10mm shorter rod to use the highest peg position with my Lohmann shifter.

- Alex

Shift Rod

Does anyone know where to get different shift rod lengths? I need a 10mm shorter rod to use the highest peg position with my Lohmann shifter.

alpha Racing can supply you with different shift rod lengths if needed. You can also contact HM Quickshifter directly as they can machine your shift rod to suit or make you a new one.

Yeah but where do you use 1st? That?s just for getting out of a hairpin. I have used first on track but it usually ends in a lot of tyre smoke going in, and an uncertain roll on/high side going out. First is just for pulling away, unless you?re geared for the that specific track, and you know what you?re doing. Which I don?t!
The advantage of 1st is that it allows you to make tighter turns, Jerez T2 and Donny T11 are perfect examples. Especially considering pretty much everyone on BMW will be using 16/43 gearing.

Hicky thought me that at Jerez, shift into gear 1 gives you extra engine brake to slow down and make a tighter turn.

As for pulling away, just short shift. There is enough torque in BMW to drive this thing out in 2nd/3rd gears.

Latest posts

Back