Full System without PCV

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godzilla

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone on here runs a full system exhaust (de-CAT) without running a PCV?

If so does it run fine?

Thanks

Austin Racing promote that running ARCS system without PCV is fine as the ECU will compensate, i assume this is by adjusting the fuelling based on what the O2 sensors are telling it. If you remove the O2 sensors I'm not so sure.

Davy

Yeah - I think best case if the bike isn't seeing O2 sensors, it'll be throwing an error and fueling rich to be safe. With O2 sensors, Austin wouldn't claim it's fine unless they had really tested it - can't imagine the compensation claims otherwise...

So the question is will the full system have fittings for the O2 sensors to screw in?

From what I can remember it has just one sensor, (the one near the top of the headers.

cally1066 has the decat pipe removed the O2 sensors or not?

Mine is 2011 with decat, akra stubby, kn air filter and o2 sensors in place.

On rolling road its lean upto 5000rpm, perfect mid range then after 11500rpm it starts to run rich. Not enough to do damage to engine but enough to be down 10-15bhp

Best be sure as the ARCS system comes with a screwed connection for 1 "wide range" sensor to be fitted, I assume this will be to accommodate the PCV autotune sensor. Perhaps your system may have the screwed connections for the O2 sensors.

Regards
Davy

I just went out and had a look. Couldn't see any. Im off to drop the belly pan and have a proper look.

OK, now I have had a better look. I can see 2 connectors for the Lambda sensors. They are on the 2 central downpipes about an inch above the connection between the 2 central downpipes.
So if I plug the lambda sensors back in I should be able to run without a PCV?

Mine is 2011 with decat, akra stubby, kn air filter and o2 sensors in place.

On rolling road its lean upto 5000rpm, perfect mid range then after 11500rpm it starts to run rich. Not enough to do damage to engine but enough to be down 10-15bhp

I have always been under the impression they ran lean?

Dont know if this will help but had to change my arcs stubby side exit due to excess noise on trackdays. Running de-cat with pcv, sensors disconnected. Took to hm racing and asked for set up to be done with baffle out with my understanding that if necessary baffle could go in and it would just run rich. Was stated that it is not necessary the case, some set ups have worked the opposite, baffle in caused it to run lean. Who am I to argue? With the state of tune so critical nowadays its pointless paying the bill and ignoring the advice lol.

OK, now I have had a better look. I can see 2 connectors for the Lambda sensors. They are on the 2 central downpipes about an inch above the connection between the 2 central downpipes.
So if I plug the lambda sensors back in I should be able to run without a PCV?
I would say yes, it will be fine. The sensors will feed the ECU with the exhaust gas analysis and adjust the fuelling accordingly. Nothing will run perfectly in a "tuned" state without a rolling road (Dyno - custom map) tune.
Davy

Last edited:
I think the running lean in low rev's is the ECU's attempt at fuel economy when pottering around town. So you're right the running lean in low rev's might be perfectly normal.

But the running rich after 11,500rpm is because the ECU can't compensate for the Decat pipe and in my case KN air filter as well.

Heres my lastest dyno graph for you to ponder: http://s14.postimg.org/doph8jlpd/Scan.jpg 169Bhp, which taking a 15% loss from crank to wheel puts it at 194bhp, so bang on what BMW state, but we've all seen this bikes push 200bhp at the wheel so theres work to be done to mine.

With a PCV, new chain and sprockets I'll be aiming for mid 180's, I was also using up an old bold tyre during dyno so that can affect BHP.

Wow, interesting stuff. Good contributions all.

So Will I be able to tell my insurance company Ive put a pipe on, lost 15% loss in HP so can you drop my premium down to reflect this? LOL

No lol

But insurance companies ask if it's a performance enhancing upgrade, and you can without lying tell them no it's not.

I'm running a full akra with pcv but on standard map and it runs alright but a little lumpy low down when its cold so got it booked in for mapping to sort it out.

I know its not the same bike but my mate has just had his 2007 zx6r on the dyno for mapping and with decat akra can and pc3 on standard map it was running mega rich low down and pretty much spot on at the top end so its not always the case that adding an exhaust makes bikes run lean.

Latest posts

Back