Front knocking noise

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

Flybmw

I've got a new s1000rr, I've only done 1866 miles from new and I've noticed a knocking noise on the front.
If the front brake is held on and I rock the tyre back and forth it makes a bad knocking noise, was thinking maybe bearing or possibly brake problem.
Have spoke to BMW and they are going to have it in to have a look.
Anyone else had similar problems?

Probably just the pads knocking on the calipers. There is a bit of clearance.

My mate had this on his s1000rr and turned out to be the head stock bearings needed adjusted.. if they noise is coming from the head stock its defo that..! don't be riding it about like that!

you will find it's front discs....if you get hold of the disc (cold) you will find it rocks back and forth on the carrier, whats called 'floating discs', it's normal :)

Been back to BMW and the noise is the floating discs.
Thanks for the replies.

My bike and the demo bike both make this noise. I checked the demo bike last night. Are you talking when you are pushing it and apply the front brake?
Didnt want to comment that my own bike did it, It also does lots of other things it shouldn't!

Yes whilst holding front brake and rocking bike back and forth.
I checked the brand new bikes in showroom and they did it aswell.
Just wanted peace of mind.

you will find it's front discs....if you get hold of the disc (cold) you will find it rocks back and forth on the carrier, whats called 'floating discs', it's normal :)

Wish I had seen this reply earlier, I ended up removing the front wheel and the discs to find the problem. Just to find no problem.

Ah well, all threads are now cleaned with new lock-tite, and everything has be properly torqued. Just for piece of mind.

Back