Fitting Zumo 390LM is it possible?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dom501

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've got a Zumo 390LM that used to be on my KTM, and at the moment it's just been used as a (very expensive) alarm clock. I'm going Scotland early Sept, so I've seen a RAM mount that'll fit my bike.

Rumour has it that that my Zumo (390LM) won't work with the can-bus system is this right? As it will drain the battery. And so I have to hard wire direct to the battery.

Thanks for any help

Dom

2015 s1000rr

I'm curious - why is the 390 different from any other Zumo? I use a 660 on the can bus (via the GPS power plug in the LHS) with no problems.

The Garmin 350 LM later replaced by the 390 LM has a power lead with a built in device the size of a matchbox that converts 12v down to 5v. It's this conversion unit which is unique to this particular model. If you connect the 390 to the bike with an adapter to the provided socket it will definitely flatten the battery. The conversion tricks/confuses the canbus and can keep the canbus live and quickly draining your battery. If you connect this satnav direct to the battery you will have no problems at all. Mine has been hard wired for two years without incident.

My uncle hard wired his zumo to his Triumph and forgot to pull the little flappy thing down when it was snowing. In the morning he had a flat battery (snow had shorted pins). Well that seemed the only plausable answer.
Another friend hard wires her sat nav direct to the battery and hasn't had a problem.
But one of those little plugs should do the trick.

Back