Faulty switch....!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJUK

Reaction score
Hi, my 10plate s1000rr left switch is faulty I think. Front right indicator and only the front right isn't working. Bulb is fine, put it in the other indicators and works perfectly.

What do you think the chances are of me getting it replaced free of charge? It's not in warranty anymore, and I wasn't the first owner. Does have full bmw service history and only has 2700miles on the clock.

Just bought the bike aswell! Only had it 4days! Bought it privately so can't take it back.

Dom

My 2011 was a few months out of warranty when my right side switch played up. This was fixed FOC by my local BM dealer, under instruction/approval of central Customer Services. I'd be very surprised if you are charged a penny, as BMW have put their hands up on this one. Best of luck buddy.

I had similar with my 10 plate not long after becoming the second owner. Didn't get a FOC remedy either!
I was told that the instruction was issued around July this year (2013) to dealers, by my local dealer. I guess your claim was before this. I claimed in July/august.
i was told that the main issue (with mine anyway) was that they were made with very cheap thin Chinese circuit boards inside and that they cracked easily.

DJIK - let us know how you get on, as we'll all probably need future replacements and re-replacements :(

I'd imagine it's correct, good news really as it makes me more likely to keep the bike a while.

Mine went in june 2012 btw, got the part free under the 3 month dealer warranty from Robinsons of Rochdale but had to pay Williams Bikes to fit it.

I'm going to try and solve the problem myself whilst I'm off work. In the new year, if it's not working, I'll be going to a dealer and showing him all this stuff and how many people have had this problem. See if I can get it FOC...

I wouldn't try DIY, Robinsons opened the switch up themselves and promptly shat themselves.

Unbelievably complex for switchgear they told me. Typical BMW!

Yeah took the switch a part. I know what they mean. Can't see any reason why the front right isn't working but the rear right is. Sprayed some wd40 in there, not made a blind bit of difference. Played with the button inside the unit. Nothing wrong with it. So looks like I'm going to have to pay someone to find out if it's the switch of the wiring to the indicator, because I don't understand why they all work a part from one. It really is like the bulb has gone. Or no electric is getting to it. If it was the switch I'd expect one side not to work. The rear right bulb flashes like it's just the front bulb is out.

Yeah took the switch a part. I know what they mean. Can't see any reason why the front right isn't working but the rear right is. Sprayed some wd40 in there, not made a blind bit of difference. Played with the button inside the unit. Nothing wrong with it. So looks like I'm going to have to pay someone to find out if it's the switch of the wiring to the indicator, because I don't understand why they all work a part from one. It really is like the bulb has gone. Or no electric is getting to it. If it was the switch I'd expect one side not to work. The rear right bulb flashes like it's just the front bulb is out.

When mine went the first time, it was just the front left indicator that wouldn't work, but it was the switch. It's simply a cold solder joint on the board from cheap manufacturing.

Bloody hell! You'd think with a bike so expensive they'd have this sorted pretty promptly!

Might not ignore there's a problem but won't fix it free of charge... I asked if there was a recall and they said there wasn't. They also didn't mention that they would sort it free of charge, which I was obviously disappointed about.

Might not ignore there's a problem but won't fix it free of charge... I asked if there was a recall and they said there wasn't. They also didn't mention that they would sort it free of charge, which I was obviously disappointed about.

Go to service desk and say you want to fill out/put in a "puma" request.

It will go right above the dealers head and BMW will make a decision on the matter not your dealer. I got new rear disc, pads and caliper from a PUMA when my bike had done only 4000 miles.

Allan Jeffries in Shipley. Closest one to me. Still nearly 20miles away though.

Turns out it wasn't the switch. Just a lose wire. All connected now. Went for it's mot today, needs new front brake pads. Shocked me how many there was, plus the price tag that comes along with it. Had to order them too as they didn't stock them.

I know. Garage was shocked when they took them out...

Back