Failed Castle Coombe noise test

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richy170

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I had my first track day on my S1K today at Castle Coombe but ended up heading home as the bike failed the noise test. I have a standard bike with an Akro end can and no baffle as it didn't come with one. I warmed the bike up and put it in Rain mode as apparently that helps with the test (dont know why, was just told this by the noise gestapo). The noise level here is 105db half a metre from the bike at three quarters revs before the red line, so in this case 10,500 revs. The first time the bike was tested it failed at 110db. Someone lent me an Akro baffle but not from a S1K. It fitted but was not snug. This tested at 108db, so still a fail. There is a motorsport shop there so they offered to fit a DB killer and give that a try. Anyway that shook the retaining bolt loose and the db killer fell into the exhaust. Got that removed, had a fat boys breakfast and headed home ?120 worse off and really pissed off. I have ordered the bike specific db killer for the Akro from Calsport but I'm not even certain if that will reduce it enough to get below 105db. Its the 10,500 rev test which just makes it impossible.

Ten bikers failed this morning, including one guy on a brand new R1, standard exhaust etc and that recorded 117db.

CC is very strict, most stock systems don't pass on sports bikes. It's why I've never bothered with the place.

Noise Testing

Castle Combe noise testing is always very strict given the noise restrictions placed upon the circuit so a baffle is an absolute must. The Akrapović baffle does make quite a difference though and it's a shame they are no longer supplied with the exhaust when buying new.

10.5k is ridiculas. Last time at cadders i think it was 6k revs on litre bikes and 8k on 600s.

Everywhere else, the rev limit is 5K for a 1000cc

Don't think I would even want to hold mine at 10.5K without any load...

Castle Combe is my nearest track (I live in Devon) but I have never been there for all the obvious reasons.

things are only going to get worse as the years go by getting stricter and stricter! Euro days are the way forward! or anglesey!!

I dont think the spainish give a crap tbf. Will ask when i go to alcarrass in a few weeks time

Re: Failed Silverstone today

No limits at Silverstone today all guys in the fast group compulsory noise test, I failed with 107db at 7.5 k
After some baffle modifications I passed at 105db

Latest posts

Back