exhaust question

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sussex_rr

Reaction score
Hi guys, im picking up my s1000 on tuesday, cant wait!
I'm looking at buying a pipe for it, but i only have a budget of £500.
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Also its a 2010 model, seems to be in perfect order, is there anything I should look for?
Slightly paranoid about all these problems I've seen on here.

Dan-moto decat pipe cost me £97 delivered directly from them, then you can choose any end can you like.

The Danmoto decat looks identical to what Brian has linked you.

Works exactly the same as the ARCS system but without the over pricing for names sake

Ross, I'm interested in one of the Danmoto decats for my 2012 model, although their site only shows 2010-2011, waiting for a response from them to see if they provide for the 2012.

Is there a difference between the 2011 & 2012 models? Is a remap necessary if the standard end pipe is used? What impact would this have on noise limits & power delivery, if any?

Ta

Ross, I'm interested in one of the Danmoto decats for my 2012 model, although their site only shows 2010-2011, waiting for a response from them to see if they provide for the 2012.

Is there a difference between the 2011 & 2012 models? Is a remap necessary if the standard end pipe is used? What impact would this have on noise limits & power delivery, if any?

The 2012 has tapered pipes going in to the CAT so the 2010/2011 Dan-Moto decat doesn't fit. Although I have seen someone weld one on but I wouldn't recommend it.

I've not had a remap done on mine, just fitted decat, K&N air filter and the Akra stubby that I had fitted from new by BMW. Noise with the stubby is a problem for track days, it's essentially straight through now and mine is very loud.

This is a video of my 2011 with decat and stubby, Highest rev I hit in video is 8000 and it's taken on a mobile phone and is louder in person.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbSOoK6Jj6M&feature=youtu.be

The 2012 has tapered pipes going in to the CAT so the 2010/2011 Dan-Moto decat doesn't fit. Although I have seen someone weld one on but I wouldn't recommend it.

I've not had a remap done on mine, just fitted decat, K&N air filter and the Akra stubby that I had fitted from new by BMW. Noise with the stubby is a problem for track days, it's essentially straight through now and mine is very loud.

This is a video of my 2011 with decat and stubby, Highest rev I hit in video is 8000 and it's taken on a mobile phone and is louder in person.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbSOoK6Jj6M&feature=youtu.be

did you find a solution for the noise? or you just putting the standard back on foir trackdays?

Ok, I've decided on a Danmoto decat link pipe together with 2010 headers and the standard end can. I am quite happy with the standard sound but really hate the huge ugly CAT box.

With regards to the Lambda O2 sensors, I have read that the ECU is programmed to take the readings from these and adjust the fuelling to best suit the CAT, not best for power. As I won't be using a PCV (to start with) do I disconnect the sensors or leave them as is? If I disconnect them will that just confuse the ECU due to having no readings to work on and subsequently stop the bike from working?

Thanks
Mike

On my 2011 i fitted Danmoto decat, Akra stubby and KN air filter, I left front butterfly valve to be controlled by ECU, the rear butterfly is removed with the CAT, so remove the cable pulleys and locked that into full open position (this is located under tank) and I left the Lambda sensors under advice from a BMW mechanic who works with the BMW buildbase BSB team (not for the race bikes, but for the S1000 test bikes they use)

Thanks Ross. I've currently got the rear butterfly locked in the open position by unplugging the power from the servo. I know this generates a fault code when a diagnostic is run but nothing comes up on the display so am happy with that. Yeah I thought it probably a good idea to leave the Lambda sensors until the time (if) I get a PCV, that way the ECU will always get a reading.

Hi everyone, i ended up buying a devil gp can, just a slip on had it on for a day then took it back as I wasn't happy with it.
It weighed the same as the standard one and sounded almost identical. So now im looking at possible de-cating and maybe a austin racing can, but it appears I've got to cut away at the existing pipe after the manifold and between the cat?
Also what do i do about the butterfly valve that's in the standard pipe? It has wires running to it and a plug?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

it's a 2010, yeah i did see that, is it difficult to remove? Does the tank have to come off? not to sure what my best option is

Hi everyone, i ended up buying a devil gp can, just a slip on had it on for a day then took it back as I wasn't happy with it.
It weighed the same as the standard one and sounded almost identical. So now im looking at possible de-cating and maybe a austin racing can, but it appears I've got to cut away at the existing pipe after the manifold and between the cat?
Also what do i do about the butterfly valve that's in the standard pipe? It has wires running to it and a plug?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you remove your standard end can and leave the CAT in place the noise is virtually the same. No idea why you would want to disconnect and lock open the butterfly with the CAT in place.
ARCS system removes CAT and the butterfly. You merely remove the cables from the servo under the seat so the ECU "thinks" the servo is still operating the now removed butterfly, this prevents the errors.
With ACRS you need to cut the CAT from the original BMW headers and join them together by simply clamping them. If your bike is 2012 there is no going back to the CAT on the headers.
I have a 2012 ACRS GP2 system for sale including headers if you are interested, its done about 200m max and is totally unmarked. PM me if you are interested. It will fit any year bike, I'm gonna ebay it soon. Or if you need any more advice or have questions about how this system works, just ask.

regards
Davy

Last edited:
If you remove your standard end can and leave the CAT in place the noise is virtually the same. No idea why you would want to disconnect and lock open the butterfly with the CAT in place.
ARCS system removes CAT and the butterfly. You merely remove the cables from the servo under the seat so the ECU "thinks" the servo is still operating the now removed butterfly, this prevents the errors.
With ACRS you need to cut the CAT from the original BMW headers and join them together by simply clamping them. If your bike is 2012 there is no going back to the CAT on the headers.
I have a 2012 ACRS GP2 system for sale including headers if you are interested, its done about 200m max and is totally unmarked. PM me if you are interested. It will fit any year bike, I'm gonna ebay it soon. Or if you need any more advice or have questions about how this system works, just ask.

regards
Davy

Thanks for your help davy, if the pipe would fit my bike then yes i would be interested, i can't send you a pm as I don't have enough privileges yet, so you could either txt through the details or email them? Is it difficult tracing the wires back to the servo? For instance do they run in the main wiring loom? I will get the bike out tomorrow and have a good look. My email is [email protected] or my phone number is 07834352000

Thanks

The idea of locking open the rear butterfly is only to give a slightly better sound from tickover to about 4000rpm, it has no effect on performance in any way. This valve is purely there for EU noise regulation purposes. There's not a huge difference though as the CAT cuts out the majority of the sound.

I'm going down the Danmoto link pipe route as I can't justify the huge difference in cost between this and either a full system or some other of the named brands. The Danmoto link pipe is also compatible with other end cans including the standard one.

Sussex, don't worry about the rear butterfly valve if you are going to do away with the CAT as it is part of the same section which you will be removing.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back