Exhaust Coring

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R6I6Z6A

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum and my first post so break me in easy!

Just wanted to get any views on exhaust coring in particular the cat, if you could safely remove it from the bike and core it and fit it back. The reason I ask is that I was looking into a full system for my Sk1rr 2010 but I have been reading and watching you tube vids and as I use my bike every day for traveling to work I think it might be a bit too loud (when in the square mile that is attention I don?t need).. I have been looking at the racefit growler slip-on but I don?t think any aftermarket slip-on makes massive differences in sound. Basically I wondered if there was a happy medium I could achieve were I get the loud sound to warn traffic etc but not too loud I get ?unnecessary attention? if you know what I mean?

So I have heard about coring of the exhaust cat that can increase noise to a bearable level but I wondered if anyone had any ideas/views/opines/restraints/recommendations on the subject.

Btw I had a R6 with a full system previous to this bike and using it to commute was a real ball ace as I had to use ear plugs which pretty much drummed out all noise so not ideal.

Thanks all in advance. :anonymous:

you would have to cut the cat out then weld it back up seems like a bit of a chore and think I've only heard of one person doing it, if you contact austin racing they may actually be to provide you with some sleeves to clamp it back up rather than welding, to be honest there are a number exhaust systems that will not make your ears bleed!! go for a arrow or akrapovic with the longer can and it will be fine, it you go for short stubby it will be loud, and no just an end can won't make any difference apart from looking better

Thanks for the Reply yam-andy, I really don?t like the look of the long pipes, I was looking at a racefit growler, I might just get one for now, then decide on the cat later! Do you still keep the last butterfly with the aftermarket slipons or does it have to be removed?

arrow do a really nice mid size pipe if you have a look on there site, think a couple of lads on here have cut down the longer end cans a bit not sure how this affects how loud it is, I have a racefit mega and swap between that and an akrapovic, the race fit is 105 db with baffle in! sometimes have to pack it a little to get past noise tests at track days, yes you do keep the butterfly if only changing end can, you could possible disconnect the cable from valve from so it's permanently open which might give a slightly deeper sound

Not really a simple task to core out the cat on this bike, as it's welded inside the "breadbox". As far as noise is concerned, I've seen riders put a straight pipe on the cat exit and it's not loud at all. Then it stands to reason that any slip on will not really change the noise level. If you go for a full system, any of the shorter mufflers will be ear bleedingly loud. And some of them do not offer the option of a dB killer. So - I'm thinking that if you were able to cut open the cat, remove the elements and reweld it, you would need a bigger muffler than stock to keep the noise level reasonable. Or go for a longer muffler on a full system (Akro, LeoVince, Arrow, etc.). Noise restrictions are becoming more of a reality every year it seems.

hmmm, Interesting, ok here is another spin, if I d cat can I keep the butterflies? If so how? And if I can (somehow) will it keep db low in lower revs then open at higher revs meaning I have the best of both worlds?

Thanks for the points guys I know I seem a bit anal about it but I made the mistake on my r6 and after forking out over a grand!! me and my ears were both regretting it, I just don?t want to make the same mistake on my new shinny swanky S1Krr ...

The butteflies are on the section you'd cut off to decat.

Have a look at the AR systems, they can be tailored to whatever DB level you want by ways of different baffle lengths, different diameters pipes etc.

Ps, if you do fancy the a AR system remember members get discount.

Sweet I will have a look, will keep you posted and thanks for all your help guys.

Really the only way to achieve what you are looking for is to cut the cat off, gut it and weld it back together. Alternatively you could cut off the section with the flapper valve and weld it into whatever new system you get. Check with Austin Racing, but I don't think any of their systems will be quiet enough to do what you want.

Latest posts

Back