dunlop 212 treaded n slick

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheers Boo,
pressures good so is the tyre wear,
bit confused now though, start of post asked if compound same between slicks and treads which came back as a yes, so if you can keep heat in treaded surely having same compound should keep heat in slicks.
as for treads, i thought the "cut" in tyres was to disperse water when riding? is this not the case?
cheers
Mut

cheers Boo,
pressures good so is the tyre wear,
bit confused now though, start of post asked if compound same between slicks and treads which came back as a yes, so if you can keep heat in treaded surely having same compound should keep heat in slicks.
as for treads, i thought the "cut" in tyres was to disperse water when riding? is this not the case?
cheers
Mut

That?s good to hear that your pressure and tyre wear are good!

You?re correct that the primary purpose of tyre tread is to disperse water. Though as boomaz says, a secondary benefit is that the increased block movement helps to generate heat. Therefore, despite a compound being identical, a cut tyre will be easier to get up to temperature then a slick

so just read the tyre pressure sticky and the notes on the bottom of the page, says tyre warmers mandatory on certain types of slicks which it names and highly recommended on the gpracer slicks. so for me the gpracer slicks are a bit more "forgiving" otherwise they too would be mandatory, or am i reading that wrong
also just read the official Dunlop page and the GP212 is still a road legal tyre, so if the "cut" tyre is road legal then surely the slick being the same compound should have the same qualities.
cheers
Mut

Last edited:
Even the 212 gp pro says warmers "recommended " and they are ment to be road legal [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Where to start...

1. Tyres should be hot enough to you can put a hand on them for 2-3 seconds before your instinct is to take it off. Feel them before you go out for a session. Should be the similar off the warmers to how they are on returning to the pits. If you can?t lay a hand on them they are too hot and need more pressure to cool down, you?ll probably have so hot tear tells showing. Hot but not red hot is what you?re after.

2. Treads and slicks are virtually identical for the D212?s, one is road legal. The Racer is more forgiving than the pro, the pro is faster in the right hands. Its not an F1 tyre where the bang on about movement of the tread blocks, because the land to sea ratio is so heavily weighted towards the former.

3. I have ridden on KR106/108?s (ms2/4) and I?m pretty shit at this riding lark. Riding in Europe, in 20+ degrees, on sunbaked tracks, with 1000cc means you have to be very slow to cool it all off. If you accelerate with gusto and brake like a wall is approaching all that kinetic energy is converted to heat. I was fine, you?ll be fine.

IMO, D212 Racers are THE choice for Inter pace. KR106/108?s are wasted on me till I can tip the bloody thing over properly, and carry more speed than my nan into a corner. Having said that about the Dunlops I love to experiment. I?ve got two sets of V02?s (Medium) waiting to get used :)

Trackdays and cold tracks in the UK are a different ball game when it comes to getting heat in the tyres.

- Sent from a magical lightbox

Last edited:
cheers for reply's fellas,
took everything into consideration, so changed my order this morning to treaded, will see how we get on and if all good will try the slicks in Portimao in July, on a track i know. Better safe than sorry, new bike, new track wouldn't like the thought of "i told you so" ringing in me ears if i put her down:wink-new:
Mut

cheers for reply's fellas,
took everything into consideration, so changed my order this morning to treaded, will see how we get on and if all good will try the slicks in Portimao in July, on a track i know. Better safe than sorry, new bike, new track wouldn't like the thought of "i told you so" ringing in me ears if i put her down:wink-new:
Mut
Good choice fella. If you out ride the 212 treaded then we will all eat humble pie [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Yes mate, that where i start. The rear may change a coupe of psi dependant on how the tyre surface looks.

Latest posts

Back