Do TST rear lights pass an MOT?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Like many I have put TST lights on my bike. I have never been too sure that they are strictly legal, but I asked some policemen at the bike show and they weren't bovvered at all.

There must be loads of bikes that have been MOTd with them by now and I haven't seen anyone complain, but I was at Loomies yesterday and a couple of lads told me they'd been failed for similar lights on other bikes (neither had a BMW, so may not have had TST).

So... has anyone had any problems getting an MOT, either at strict/BMW place, or did you go to a more... pragmatic... establishment?

Cheers

Fine for MOT, MOT only states working correctly and clear and visible. TST are defiantly clear and visible

The lower number plate bracket might be difficult as need reflector fitted and depends on tester.

I have the high number plate bracket, so i'll be ok.. indeed, my bike is a 21 so i don't even need to worry about the MOT til next year, it was just the chat at the weekend got me thinking.

re reflector, that'll get fitted next year in time for the MOT. My Gen 2 had a reflector stuck on it by an MOT station a few years ago so that it passed - they put it on the right hand side of the plate. Last year I was told (different place) that it should be in the middle of the plate...

This might help:

4.4.3. Compliance with requirements

You must inspect all direction indicators fitted.

Direction indicators must emit an amber light, except motorcycles first used before 1 September 1965 can have white front indicators and red rear indicators.

Switch on the direction indicators and operate all the other lamps in turn to see if the direction indicators are adversely affected.

The position lamp on the same side of the direction indicator may or may not switch off when the indicator is switched on.

Some motorcycles have direction indicators combined with the position lamps. In these cases the position lamp does not have to switch off when the relevant direction indicator is switched on.

The precise position of direction indicators are not part of this inspection, but they must be on each side of the longitudinal axis of a solo machine. If a sidecar is attached, the indicators must be on opposite sides of the combination.

Mandatory direction indicators must have minimum separation distances between the illuminating surfaces of:

• mopeds (Category L1) - 240mm at the front and 160mm at the rear
  • solo motorcycles - 240mm at the front and 180mm at the rear
  • motorcycle and sidecar - 400mm at both front and rear
There is no requirement to measure the separation distance and they should only be rejected if the separation distance is obviously incorrect.

You must assess damaged or repaired lamps for security, colour, light output and durability.

Direction indicators that function sequentially/dynamically are not to be considered a reason to fail.

I have the high number plate bracket, so i'll be ok.. indeed, my bike is a 21 so i don't even need to worry about the MOT til next year, it was just the chat at the weekend got me thinking.

re reflector, that'll get fitted next year in time for the MOT. My Gen 2 had a reflector stuck on it by an MOT station a few years ago so that it passed - they put it on the right hand side of the plate. Last year I was told (different place) that it should be in the middle of the plate...
If your bike is a 21 needs MOT this year. It is third birthday from date of reg.

It's interesting what Starr has added. Those requirements appear to state that right/left indicators need to be 400mm apart front and rear (in theory, but doesn't need to be measured for MOT). I guess the OEM number plate hanger that the indicators attach to will comply, but a tail tidy is usually the first thing we all fit... All my bikes have 300-350mm separation, with the TSTs at the lower end of that.

None of my older bikes have ever had a problem, even with the local place that's very anal about the reflector position. That said, I think I'll still take it to the dealer...

My MOT garage had a word with me last time, they said because the stop light doesnt stay on when the indicator flashes that it should be a fail. He let me off as I've used them for years but he just advised me that if i got pulled to say Id only just fitted them. My tucked plate isnt an issue as long as its the correct size

My MOT garage had a word with me last time, they said because the stop light doesnt stay on when the indicator flashes that it should be a fail. He let me off as I've used them for years but he just advised me that if i got pulled to say Id only just fitted them. My tucked plate isnt an issue as long as its the correct size
That's good to know, as I was thinking of getting a set.

My MOT garage had a word with me last time, they said because the stop light doesnt stay on when the indicator flashes that it should be a fail. He let me off as I've used them for years but he just advised me that if i got pulled to say Id only just fitted them. My tucked plate isn't an issue as long as its the correct size
Yup, thus is the exact reason I was nervous about them to start with... I'll tell you in a few weeks how I get on... It wouldn't take that long to revert to standard, but I just can't be arsed...

Back