Disconnect battery gen3

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lightning_bob

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
If I disconnect the battery for a couple months on my Gen3 s1krr am I likely to see any issues, expect an ecu relearn due to volatile memory loss but is that all I can expect

If I disconnect the battery for a couple months on my Gen3 s1krr am I likely to see any issues, expect an ecu relearn due to volatile memory loss but is that all I can expect

it?ll be fine, I?m guessing you don?t have power where the bike is stored, if you do you?d be as well fitting a trickle charger saving the hassle of removing fitting etc.

mines on the original rectifier at 58000 miles, had a couple of stators though!

All
so battery charged and back on the bike, I?ve checked charge rate and normal running I get 14.52 volts, high beam on drops to 14.34 volts, can anymore confirm that?s normal range please as I would expect 13 - 14 volts

That is a perfectly fine charge rate with the engine running.

I changed the Rectifier and later the Stator on my Daytona 955i after charging issues and afterwards when I measured the charge at the battery terminals as 14.4V with the engine running at 1200 rpm (tickover), I was informed by bike electrical experts on that forum as being in the sweet spot for a good reading.

The tests I was told to do were:
13.7V ignition off after the battery was showing as fully charged with an Optimate battery charger (good reading)
12.7V ignition on (dipped lights on) (good reading)
14.4 V engine started and initial running and exact same reading made 10 minutes later with engine running. Both measurements with the engine at tickover and zero throttle. (good reading)

I was barely getting 13.7V on ticker before I changed the stator. I blew my rectifier previous to that because I didn't solder the connections between the stator and rectifier - the connector smoked and caught fire..... In hindsight, the 40k mile stator had had enough after that fire too.

If you don't use the bike in winter and the bike is stored in a cold garage always remove the battery and keep it in a warm place on a trickle charger.
This will certainly prolong the life of the battery.
The only thing that comes on when reconnecting the battery is the service reminder date due, this is because the actual date is lost and for some reason you can't set the date in without the use of a plug in diagnostic tool such as this one https://www.hexcode.co.za/products

Latest posts

Back