Decat

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJUK

Reaction score
Just thought I'd ask this question now and get the answers I'll need now rather than later.

Bought some headers, ordered a danmoto decat pipe, just wondering after I've fitted them both to my Akro stubby end can, do I need to get the bike tuned/dyno'd? Or will it be fine to run without?

Don't want to be breaking the poor thing.

Dom

in my opinion it should run fine the ecu is capable of adjusting air fuel etc so your engine will be safe, but if you want extra horses or best possible results then a power commander and a custom map or a ecu reflash will be required to smooth things out

I was hoping that was the answer. Had a few cars where the ecu would adjust its self depending on what was fitted, but to get the maximum from the mods you had to get a remap.

Should all be fine mate mine running full racetec without baffle and all good :) tho very loud lol

I suppose its each to their own , I would not run it without a map/pcv.
The boxheads have spent a lot of time perfecting the fueling and runningof the bike to spin at 14,000 rpm....just think about that for a sec...
It doesn't make sense to me at all , I am not saying it will do any damage
Indeed i couldn't quantify what it would do , but its just not right is it?

Obviously I will get it looked at, just wanted to know whether I had to take it straight to a place that can tune it, or of I could ride it home and do it when I had time. Maybe a few weekends later (after a little riding).

I have been running mine in that same state for 5 months now and it is exactly as Yam_Andy states. I will take mine to Hilltop in Feb/March time though, as it'll need a service, etc too (the dash warning notification), but it runs well IMO.
i wanted to try it first and be sure I liked the extra noise ...which I do. However, the extra low and mid range power has been the best improvement and if Hilltop can make that even better again, then I will be even more chuffed.
My friend did the same to his 2012 and he has elected not to flash/PCv at all though, as he is perfectly happy with the way it is.
we both worked out that seems it needs about 75 miles to "run in" the ecu with the new exhaust setup though, I.e. It becomes a lot smoother and produces a different exhaust note after that amount of miles. It settles down and feels good :)

You don't need it doing, however. My 2011 has OEM headers, Danmoto Decat and Akra stubby.

I have had it dyno'd (before and after decat) just to see what was happening. It runs lean at low revs (below 6000) runs rich at high revs (over 10500). The amount it's off by is not enough to damage engine. Due to it running rich at the high revs the bike will be down about 10hp (give/take).

There is actually zero improvement shown on dyno at mid range, mine felt better after decat but after having it dyno'd with proof there was no difference, its just a placebo effect due to knowing theres no cat and the extra noise makes you feel like its got more ooomph

I suppose its each to their own , I would not run it without a map/pcv.
The boxheads have spent a lot of time perfecting the fueling and runningof the bike to spin at 14,000 rpm....just think about that for a sec...
It doesn't make sense to me at all , I am not saying it will do any damage
Indeed i couldn't quantify what it would do , but its just not right is it?

+1 except for the PCV - get it re-mapped. On another note you might want to wait and see if you (and your neighbours) can live with the noise before doing that.

They are proper loud :highly_amused:

Neighbours.... Hahaha. Wether they like it or not it's got nothing to do with them. It's not as if I'm going to be sat outside my house revving the bike for 3hours. I'll be out on it. Haha.

Why not leave the remaining cat material in the header section after cutting off the cat, that way it's louder but not excessive and no issue with tuning.

I suppose I could try this, then if I don't like it, I could just take the decat off and pull the rest of it out. I shall see.

Eeeurrrgghhhh. Got import taxed. 19.17 for tax and 13.50 for clearance fee. Total 32.67. Awwww well....

Hi DJ,

i have the same system, danmoto decat on standard headers and akra stubby. When i took the bike to Hilltop for mapping, it was runing very lean, not engine-damagingly, but not far off.

As for the decat... sod the neighbours, it sounds awesome. Could be a problem if you want to get on track though, mine tested at 110.9db.

Cheers
Dave

Nah won't be doing track days. Thanks for the info. I will probably be getting it dyno'd and fuelled correctly, just not right away.

Latest posts

Back