D cat

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack sprat

Reaction score
HI YA ,
I would like to know can I remove the cat. Saw it off, to insert a Decat link pipe, without removing lots of thing headers radiators and such. So kind of when it on the bike. I have read many posts and it sounds a big job and I am no way handy enough to do this.(taking things to bits removing road fairing was enough for me ) I am tracking my 2011 . Race fairings so Cat has to go I have a stubby Akrapovic so I may also need to have a baffle made for it to ,as I understand this combination is above track limits.
All the best everyone
Jack Sprat
ps buying Ducati Diavel for the road

I cut my CAT off my 2011 while ago now, had to unbolt headers, remove fairings, rad, oil cooler, tank, seat and more i'm sure but memory aint what it use to be.

If you were prepared to do it with a hand hacksaw then yes you could do it without removing much at all, it would just take you a effing long time and maybe a couple blades.
ha3030.jpg

I have cut through a steel exhaust once with handsaw took me over an hour, with the RR you have to cut 2 pipes and access is still fiddly so set aside an afternoon.
Might also come in handle to have open saw to, just incase theres a tight bit normal hacksaw won't get to.
Free-shipping-font-b-Stanley-b-font-Mini-font-b-Hacksaw-b-font-20-807-22.jpg

Or if you could raise bike off floor on a warrior stand then you might get angle grinder underneath but be careful you don't cut through sump

You would never get a grinder in there also u don't wanna melt anything with the sparks!, use a recip saw and will take seconds

Tried to do it on the bike and I ended up taking the headers off, its best to take them off so you can get a clean cut.
I tried grinder and electric saw and there is just to much of a chance that you will damage the sump pan.

Most difficult part in removing the headers is the radiator / oil cooler bracket removal. This bracket needs to come off to allow the headers to be removed and it bolts to the engine block, only one bolt but a bugger to get to. Radiator and cooler only need to be loosened off so you are not breaking containment on the coolant.

All in all it's not a difficult task and if you intend to track your bike you are going to need to get your hands dirty. Not so bad once you get into it.

Most difficult part in removing the headers is the radiator / oil cooler bracket removal.

I never undid that bolt, couldn't get to it with any tools i had.

Undid headers and all listed above, exhaust dropped to floor and used angle grinder with my mate holding bike on side stand like below picture.
turning_bike.JPG

As Niven said you need to get in there and find out whats what if yr gonna track it. Be careful undoing the rad bracket as the retaining scew/bolt is next size torx up & could easily be rounded out. Borrowed an exhaust cutter to do mine, nice clean cut.

Tbh when I put in my new system I took all the bolts out ( most were fooked) and replaced all of them, made it easier putting in new stuff with some copper slip so there is an upside to removing the system

Hi guys
thanks for all the help with the De cat issue, good advice about dirty hands will take that on the nose, however I will get some one to help to be on the safe side. I think that was the other point being made thanks again. jack sprat

It's a piece of piss with a reciprocating saw, no need to unbolt headers etc.

No need to remove rad and oil cooler, as the headers will drop with the room available behind them. one thing that DOES need to come out, the bracket that stablises the mounting of the Rad/Oil cooler. a little tricky to get to with a star key, but made a lot easier if you invest in T30 socket. with the headers off the bike, it makes it a lot easier to get a clean cut when you start hacking

Latest posts

Back