Coronavirus/House Boredom

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They ignored the EU offer to get a 'group buy' on PPE because of Brexit. They are stuck up their own arses and idiotic, at the cost of our NHS. Thats fact, not opinion.

The have chosen to partner on the contact tracing app, that has links to Trump and has a history of misusing data. I.e. like Cambridge Analytica.

Porton Down was working on Covid-19 in DECEMBER.

Lockdown was late.

Testing still isn't in place.

PPE is still screwed.

But yeah 5 months is too short a time to get those things sorted, especially when the govt had a Pandemic Preparedness review handed to them in 2016 which highlighted all the shortages. {Sarcasm}.

We needed a total lock down, using the army, at the start of March, but we got a limp-wristed apologetic one at the end of March which millions are flouting and dragging this out longer.

- Alex

Last edited:
We needed a total lock down, using the army, at the start of March, but we got a limp-wristed apologetic one at the end of March which millions are flouting and dragging this out longer.

- Alex

I agree on everything expect lockdown.

Collected data (from China) on deaths showed lockdown is only necessary for people > 60 y.o. roughly. I think there was no point destroying GDP/economy and they rather should have allowed the rest of population to keep working.

Last edited:
I agree on everything expect lockdown.

Collected data (from China) on deaths showed lockdown is only necessary for people > 60 y.o. roughly. I think there was no point destroying GDP/economy and they rather should have allowed the rest of population to keep working.

Think that is worse than listening to our own data. So you're saying, logically speaking, all the under 60's can carry on working, using public transport, partying, going to concerts etc and it wouldn't have made any difference ? lol There were/are, too many out there that couldn't care less. NHS workers/doctors etc died in spite of the lockdown, this wouldn't have happened if no lockdown? Trouble is IMO, it's not being taken seriously enough by the 'under 60's (20's-40's). It's here, for how long is the question for everybody, no-body knows for sure but it wont be over too soon. Sorry, rant over.....

the EU PPE offer was a waste of time anyway. that deal hadn't sorted any PPE for those that had signed up for it up until a couple of weeks ago as far as i know anyway. Didnt help Italy much.

edit...FFS drawn back in again.lol.

Last edited:
The business I work for comes under the key worker category so a large proportion of us (those who need to) have been going into work since shutdown. The introduction of tests for key workers a couple of weeks ago, where you're only supposed to go if you have symptoms but of course many have gone who just wanted to see if they were positive, showed in our case that so far all who got positive results had no symptoms at all. The vast majority who went for tests were negative. We have pretty rigorous segregation in place at work but while virtually everyone follows the rules, albeit with a degree of enforcement, a lot don't outside of work which is frustrating.
The issue is that no individual knows to what extent, if any, they will be made ill once they contract the virus - all is fine if you have no symptoms, but it's not fine if you end up in an ICU or dead. Whatever the origins of the virus or the rights or wrongs of how its been handled it's not to be taken lightly...

They ignored the EU offer to get a 'group buy' on PPE because of Brexit. They are stuck up their own arses and idiotic, at the cost of our NHS. Thats fact, not opinion.

The have chosen to partner on the contact tracing app, that has links to Trump and has a history of misusing data. I.e. like Cambridge Analytica.

Porton Down was working on Covid-19 in DECEMBER.

Lockdown was late.

Testing still isn't in place.

PPE is still screwed.

But yeah 5 months is too short a time to get those things sorted, especially when the govt had a Pandemic Preparedness review handed to them in 2016 which highlighted all the shortages. {Sarcasm}.

- Alex
All true alas, total shambles. But why is this any surprise? Boris has been at the helm of many an over the cliff situation, he always either makes thing worse or comes up short. He should be facing court not security in perpetuity as is his right as a ?sposed? leader. Shameful that he was voted in! No doubt it?ll be spun and he?ll get another term. Any seen that great film Idiocracy?

The relatively low numbers of those dying in the UK (and other countries) means many of us don?t see the threat as seriously as we should because it isn?t on our own doorsteps.

For me that voyeuristic attitude changed this last week when the father of a good friend of mine died due to covid. He was in his 60s and had type 1 diabetes, otherwise fit and active. The last his family saw of him was when he was put in an ambulance a month ago. After being put on a covid ward he deteriorated and spent two weeks sedated on a ventilator in the ICU until multiple heart attacks finished him off on Thursday. No bedside goodbyes, nothing. He was a genuinely kind and generous individual who didn?t deserve to end his days this way.

I deleted this post a few times before finally posting as I don?t want the forum to get drawn into politics, but hopefully this illustrates that the numbers are not just numbers, that policy mistakes do cost lives, as do people who flout the restrictions, whether they think so or not. The primary job of government is to protect the population, I am not convinced they acted in everyones best interest soon enough or decisively enough to prevent a lot of the death and economic damage that has and will be caused.

The relatively low numbers of those dying in the UK (and other countries) means many of us don?t see the threat as seriously as we should because it isn?t on our own doorsteps.

For me that voyeuristic attitude changed this last week when the father of a good friend of mine died due to covid. He was in his 60s and had type 1 diabetes, otherwise fit and active. The last his family saw of him was when he was put in an ambulance a month ago. After being put on a covid ward he deteriorated and spent two weeks sedated on a ventilator in the ICU until multiple heart attacks finished him off on Thursday. No bedside goodbyes, nothing. He was a genuinely kind and generous individual who didn?t deserve to end his days this way.

I deleted this post a few times before finally posting as I don?t want the forum to get drawn into politics, but hopefully this illustrates that the numbers are not just numbers, that policy mistakes do cost lives, as do people who flout the restrictions, whether they think so or not. The primary job of government is to protect the population, I am not convinced they acted in everyones best interest soon enough or decisively enough to prevent a lot of the death and economic damage that has and will be caused.

Buddy, that sucks...?

If it's in MCN then I'd say it's a pretty reliable source. If it was in the Daily Fail on the other hand....

DM is a joke of a paper, I deleted the app off my phone about a year ago, it wasnt so much the ridiculous and inaccurate stories, more the idiots that read it and post up their comments I detested..it's a pure low brow rag

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

DM is a joke of a paper, I deleted the app off my phone about a year ago, it wasnt so much the ridiculous and inaccurate stories, more the idiots that read it and post up their comments I detested..it's a pure low brow rag

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Not like the Star,Sun and Mirror-such quality rags.

I?ve tried to stay out of the Coronavirus discussion and how it?s being handled. I just thought I?d raise my head above the parapet and put forward a couple of points. Firstly when the media (in which I work) point out statistical figures, like everything in this modern world, it has to be attention grabbing. The total number of deaths is in reality a meaningless figure when comparing countries. Every country/culture is different. A meaningful statIstic is taking the total country?s population divided by the number of people dying of Covid 19. If you take all European country?s and the USA. The US has the lowest percentage of population dying and we are the third lowest. Highest by miles.... Belgium followed by Italy, Spain.
Now on the question of how?s it?s being handled, it?s easy in hindsight to find wrong decisions. It?s all new for everyone. Labour continually criticise without actually providing any answers to solve the issues they complain about. Gordon Brown doing their rounds on TV news on Sunday said that everyone in the country should have been tested by now as we?ve had 7 weeks, Labour would have... err even if we tested over a million people a week, it would take well over a year to test everyone.
Now locking down (in some people?s) views late was followed on scientists advice. It does have some advantages ie we can learn what from other countries who come out of lockdown prior to us. ..... Discuss.....
Been kind to me in replying. ;)

You should also take into account the relative sizes of those countries.

USA 333 million people in 3.8 million square miles
UK 68 million in 93630 square miles
France 65 million in248600 square miles
Spain 47 million in195400 square miles
Belgium 12 million in11790 square miles.

Without working it all out,it appears that UK figures aren't that bad(don't take that the wrong way-it's still not good).

Oh,and Italy 60 million 116300 square miles.

Last edited:
I think Japan should be somewhere we look at for how they handled it. We need to learn from them. Higher density of people 50x less deaths. It DOES depend on if they are recording and comparing apples for apples. But indicatively it suggests that they did a far better job of managing this.

All the countries hit by SARS learned and were much better prepared. All the countries not hit by SARS looked at those affected and took zero notes. Turns out all the PPE we did store for this didn't meet British Standards. Heads should role in NHS mgmt for that...including Han-Cock.

Japan
Population: 126m
Density: 336 people per square kilometer
COVID19 deaths: 624

UK
Population: 66m
Density: 281 people per square Kilometer
COVID19 deaths: 31,855

Both Islands of the coast of a larger Body.

Latest posts

Back