Clutch cable snapped

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travers91

Reaction score
Out for a quick blast today and the clutch cable snapped on me.

Managed to get home with fairly few issues, do you guys recommend just using the oem cable or is there a decent replacement. (Might be time to add some new levers too)

Gen1

Cheers
Trav

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clutch Cable

I would personally just replace it with another OEM clutch cable. The alternatives from the likes of alpha Racing are designed for race use (lighter) and not for longevity like the OEM ones are.

After a lot of faffing, the new cable is in!

f90ad0f0beeeeb0025b55d4721460416.jpg

0b467ffa43c29671adb13282cd7ca240.jpg

OEM from wemoto, cheaper than from BMW direct.

Uploading photos is currently problematic, admin are aware and investigating the issue.

Apologies for any inconvenience

Quick question in relation to the biting point of these clutches.

I have a small amount of free play/slack in the lever, however it only takes a tiny amount of pressure to disengage the clutch.

Essentially the lever almost all the way out to start moving forward, but no apparent slip.

Before the cable snapped this was a lot closer to the bar.

Does this mean that the clutch is worn and I should be looking at putting in new plates?

Clutch Plates & Clutch Cable

You won't really know if the clutch plates are worn unless you remove and visually inspect them and check the tolerances. With regards to fitting the clutch cable, so long as you follow the instructions in the Service Manual you shouldn't have any issues.

Back