Check your pinch bolts!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered a paint pen and will be marking mine up as soon as the bike is back from the dealers (first checking their torque is correct!).

Based on what Soof has said and given it was your left hand side bolts that were really loose, did you get any ABS warning messages Tif before it was identified you had loose bolts?

Re: Front Pinch Bolts

Morning Ryan, I've been out into the garage and done them. No loosening required, I set torque wrench to 19 Nm and thought I'd check them first. They all moved fairly easily and did them alternatively as you said. Given the movement, I reckon they were at around 16 Nm before I set them correctly. Shocking, do these guys at the dealers even do anything at PDI? Or do they just tighten to what feels right to them without a torque wrench?

i don?t believe the dealers do the PDI, that is done at bmw before delivery to the dealers

Daz

Last edited:
Based on what Soof has said and given it was your left hand side bolts that were really loose, did you get any ABS warning messages Tif before it was identified you had loose bolts?

Nope, not a thing. First thing I felt was a "clonk" from what I believe was the left fork (I felt it through my left clip on), then some repeated "mini clonking". By that time, it was the end of my ride and I'd arrived home. But it was all low speed, doing a tightish turn into my road and onto my drive.

Nothing on the screen. I'd assumed suspension given the Gen 4 has had a few issues in that area, but the recovery guy (I didn't want to ride it until it was looked at) reckoned pinch bolts after bouncing the bike around and feeling the forks behaving themselves. Sure enough, he found them loose. Of course, that doesn't mean that that was the issue, but that's why it's at the dealer now being checked over.

Last edited:
thing is,even if you pinch bolts are loose it wont make any noises or effect anything unless your front axle is working loose,which is unlikely,can happen obviously,but it wont be the pinch bolts making/causing any noise.unless they are a completley different design as not upto date on the gen4..

thing is,even if you pinch bolts are loose it wont make any noises or effect anything unless your front axle is working loose,which is unlikely,can happen obviously,but it wont be the pinch bolts making/causing any noise.unless they are a completley different design as not upto date on the gen4..

Yeah, it's definitely not conclusive for the initial problem. But they were lose nevertheless. Hopefully I won't have to wait weeks or months for BMW to give me the bike back!

I?ve just torqued mine back up to spec. Also some of the fairing screws was loose around the rads

Got my bike back today (wasn't expecting that so quickly). They did 2 road tests, all kinds of tests and inspections on the forks, and the suspension is fine. So could have just been the loose pinch bolts. They did say the recovery guy had over torqued them though, so they are back to how they should be.

They did my run in service whilst they had it and I've ridden about 100 miles with no sign of what I felt before, so whatever it is, it's either fixed or hiding. I'm SO pleased to have the bike back, especially with the 9k rev limiter off!

Got my bike back today (wasn't expecting that so quickly). They did 2 road tests, all kinds of tests and inspections on the forks, and the suspension is fine. So could have just been the loose pinch bolts. They did say the recovery guy had over torqued them though, so they are back to how they should be.

They did my run in service whilst they had it and I've ridden about 100 miles with no sign of what I felt before, so whatever it is, it's either fixed or hiding. I'm SO pleased to have the bike back, especially with the 9k rev limiter off!

Good news!

Good news Tif, I also had an amazing ride today. Covered around 70 miles and it feels so great with the limiter off and going through the gears with the quick shifter, big grins in the helmet :D

Good news Tif, I also had an amazing ride today. Covered around 70 miles and it feels so great with the limiter off and going through the gears with the quick shifter, big grins in the helmet :D

time to hit the track

Gave my dealer a list of things to check...pinch bolts included. Will advise

Latest posts

Back