chain and swingarm

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vro551

Reaction score
I might be going blind but cant find the chain specs on the manual, by the way 15 model. And while here is the swingarm a pig to take off, including , the ddc rear shock?

I might be going blind but cant find the chain specs on the manual, by the way 15 model. And while here is the swingarm a pig to take off, including , the ddc rear shock?

The swing arm and shock are ok to take off. I did it once by suspending the rear of the bike up to my garage trusses with ratchet straps, kept the front wheel in a wheel chock and it was easy enough. Take photos of: before nuts and bolts removal and during the process, if it is off for a long period of time you can refer to them to aid with refitting.

JimmyMac

Thinking of breaking the chain and installing a split link as this way its easier to remove to clean and lubricate. Doing it on the bike is a pain in the rear and very awkward to get the inner side. Know that its not ideal but the bime is for road and weekend use only, make that dry weather too:adoration:

Thinking of breaking the chain and installing a split link as this way its easier to remove to clean and lubricate. Doing it on the bike is a pain in the rear and very awkward to get the inner side. Know that its not ideal but the bime is for road and weekend use only, make that dry weather too:adoration:

brave.lol..200bhp and a split link. i think i will stick to wiping down with oil and lubing with dry lube. loads easier than removing chain to oil it.

Are you actually going to use a split link? You can't be serious? Lol. Expect that chain to come off, that's all I can say dude!

If you fit a split link you can kiss goodbye to any remaining warranty and probably your lower left leg when it comes off!
I fitted a DID gold chain and supersprox rear and have no problems keeping them clean. Get one of those chain cleaning brushes (?1.50 from eBay) and some decent cleaner.

The OE chain is piss poor... like the hugger and sump they are cheap shite on an expensive bike. I get my chain looking mint (ask Jimmy Mac) it takes me 5 mins, Ive a post on here using one of the brushes RRoss recommends...though my brush cost 3 and half quid lol. Forget the split link the repercussions are unthinkeable.

Stuart

Sent from Galaxy S7

Last edited:
Just noticed my chain needs replacing it's a Renthal one with Renthal rear sprocket, I keep it lubed up, not sure of the mileage, but I've done 12000 on it, previous owner may have done up to 5000, so I suppose it's probably due, normally only needs a couple of flats with a new back tyre.

Just been on European tour so stuck new tyre on adjusted it; 2000 miles later on the way back in Luxembourg, had a check and it needed a whole turn (only looked coz mate had to keep adjusting his 20000 mile original chain). any way back home 400 miles later it needed another whole turn and on closer inspection I noticed 10 (of the 42) teeth on the back sprocket had lost the top part.

I'd already ordered a DID ZVM x chain and new Renthal sprockets, but am now a bit worried about rear sprocket life!

Previous experience with R1 and GSXRs (and friends) would expect at least 20000 out of chain and sprocket to look ok, maybe once the anodising wears off it just wears out.

I suppose that's what you get for thrashing up and down the alps and 165 cruising on the autobahn!

If you fit a split link you can kiss goodbye to any remaining warranty and probably your lower left leg when it comes off!
I fitted a DID gold chain and supersprox rear and have no problems keeping them clean. Get one of those chain cleaning brushes (?1.50 from eBay) and some decent cleaner.

brush.png

Just noticed my chain needs replacing it's a Renthal one with Renthal rear sprocket, I keep it lubed up, not sure of the mileage, but I've done 12000 on it, previous owner may have done up to 5000, so I suppose it's probably due, normally only needs a couple of flats with a new back tyre.

Just been on European tour so stuck new tyre on adjusted it; 2000 miles later on the way back in Luxembourg, had a check and it needed a whole turn (only looked coz mate had to keep adjusting his 20000 mile original chain). any way back home 400 miles later it needed another whole turn and on closer inspection I noticed 10 (of the 42) teeth on the back sprocket had lost the top part.

I'd already ordered a DID ZVM x chain and new Renthal sprockets, but am now a bit worried about rear sprocket life!

Previous experience with R1 and GSXRs (and friends) would expect at least 20000 out of chain and sprocket to look ok, maybe once the anodising wears off it just wears out.

I suppose that's what you get for thrashing up and down the alps and 165 cruising on the autobahn!

Ali will always wear out fast than Steel. Lots of folk will recommend both sprockets get changed with a chain anyway. The SuperSprox tries to bridge the gap between light weight and durability by being 2 parts. Steel tooth drive and Ali for the rest. I'm not sure how well they wear but it might be worth a go.

Just ordered one of these off ebay today after seeing the thread at ?2.99! Looks to be just the job :)

For any tight Scotsmen out there lol
7911b649b17cdeb616957cbd035ee38e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brake cleaner and a rag. I've always put renthal chain / sprockets on and never ever once applied grease lol

As above, did gold chain and supersprox. 5k miles on it now commuting and weekend rides
e01cb4d1b3988f6316b38d2570ceac2b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Well from what I saw alot of things on the bmw are abit rubbish, no wonder all the recalls and complains on here. Chain is showing signs of rust, the sump and exhausts manifolds are starting to corrode, my 12 year old ZX6R is in better condition. And what about the plastics, wafer thin and just enough paint to cover it, and a fooking headache to remove. Even the BMW service didn't put the screws back in the correct place after the oil change. Yes its powerful, love the brakes but for that money I was expecting more. Back to the split link, been running that on my kawa for years, and considering that a link costs ?9 from DID must be decent quality. Anyway thats why i ask, have owned the bike for less than a week so bare with me if i may ask 'stupid' questions, any feedback appreciated

I'm on my second S1000RR, both have been perfect apart from the poor quality chain on my gen 3 which I replaced with a renthal 525 - I've had no issues with corrosion, bits breaking or not working. I've owned all kinds of bikes in the 30 years I've been riding, the 3 Fireblades I've had have probably been the best finished of all of them but I'd happily buy another S1K. I don't know the history of your bike but assuming you checked all the obvious stuff you would buying any bike there's no reason why you should have problems with it, I hope you get to love it, no one minds you asking questions stupid or otherwise either :)

Like mac ive had no issues apart from the naff chain. Yes some bolts corroded last winter due to salt but no different to my r1 and r6. Plastics i think sre fine , as for taking them off and on it is "different" but no more tricky than putting the underside of a nose cone on an r1 (worst design ever !!!😂).

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back