Caliper clearance

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'd try re aligning your calipers, loosen them off, then apply brakes to re-align before tightening calipers again.or maybe your pistons are sticking and ony pushing from 1 side?

Ok, had time to look and think about this.... Left hand fork leg can be moved accordingly releasing the bush to obtain equal gap either side of the rotor for the caliper with keeping an adequate gap for the abs sensor.
Right hand fork leg can not. This is governed by the axle shoulder in the fork leg. So, thinking, the only variation will be in the axle shoulder or/and the bearing seating dimension in the wheel?
I can barely get a 10thou feeler gauge in the gap, other side is like 3/8" (guessing)

Last edited:
Keith,

I'm not sure if it's your Gen 3 or 4 but as long as you have the gap on the left side between the ABS Ring and Pick up is correct ie around 0.7mm (from Memory), then the only thing that would affect the caliper side to side spacing would be the forks being slightly twisted in the yokes or more than likely the position of the left side spacer that is clamped. It easy to undo both fork leg clamps accidentally and not set up this spacer correctly. The spacer is used to set the ABS gap and everything else should then be centred unless the forks are twisted. Hope that makes sense. J

Keith,

I'm not sure if it's your Gen 3 or 4 but as long as you have the gap on the left side between the ABS Ring and Pick up is correct ie around 0.7mm (from Memory), then the only thing that would affect the caliper side to side spacing would be the forks being slightly twisted in the yokes or more than likely the position of the left side spacer that is clamped. It easy to undo both fork leg clamps accidentally and not set up this spacer correctly. The spacer is used to set the ABS gap and everything else should then be centred unless the forks are twisted. Hope that makes sense. J

Gen 4 . After staring at it while savouring a few JD's , I stripped the wheel out and spacer that the axle screws into. Made sure all was spotlessly clean and re-assembled. Spacer was fully home in it's recess and torqued up, also axle. Still had the discrepancy.... Have been conversing with Chandlers of Brighton (which have always been very helpful) was sent a video around the forks of one they had there, only difference that was obvious was the end of the axle (opposite end to the spacer) was flush with the internal recess whereas mine wasn't. Released the pinch bolts , moved the leg out to get the axle flush and solved the problem.
Should have thought about this earlier, forgot that side leg is fully floating on the axle until it's pinched up, had the same with the RSV4 doh.....
Will see after a ride out if it changes after I release it again.

I think I need pictures but I am glad you've sorted it.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Latest posts

Back