Brake lever travel

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nevman

Reaction score
Is the long brake lever travel before the brakes 'bite' normal on our bikes?
I am used very little travel on my previous bike and not sure if this is normal on RR's

About half a inch when cold and a bit more when warm.

Is the long brake lever travel before the brakes 'bite' normal on our bikes?
I am used very little travel on my previous bike and not sure if this is normal on RR's

Like Paul mentions, I find it varies depending whether cold or warm.

The only exception is that I find if I use the brakes heavily once or twice, then the free play becomes very minimal, and if used heavily repeatedly I notice some fade

I hate it as I?m usually on lean when u find nothing and then boom instead of say 15% brake that u wanted u now have to pull the lever further seeking the bite then u find it but at 40%. Bmw say if u changed the levers it?s the cause but everyone having the problem before changing so what now ? It?s the mis match of brembo over nissin in my opinion, u really need a brembo front master cyclinder but then u can?t use hp levers. It?s no good saying u can get used to it either as one bend it works and the next it may delay. Only way bmw will fix this is if everyone of us object but that ain?t gonna happen.
I find if u adjust the levers from the fully extended position even by one click then the problem is greater . I ride with mine on number 3 so very noticeable.
On positive note , it keeps the blood flowing not knowing if it gonna hit straight away or not [emoji23]

Jay

Strange you say this, I use standard everything (except pads) and love it. I like the progressive feel as opposed to the 'switch' and never had a fade bad enough to worry about.
Now using shorty levers with no difference

Last edited:
Brake Lever Travel

I've never had an issue with brake lever travel and I still use the standard OEM master cylinder as I've never had a problem with it. I do however use Castrol SRF fluid and Z04 brake pads and regularly bleed the system. Notwithstanding the fact that I've changed the calipers (simply to save money on race brake pads) the OEM braking system is extremely good.

Thanks all. It seems that this is standard issue. So I have to get used to it then.
Cheers.

I have no isues with lever travel and I only use mine a a track bike, however my friends R1 does have a solid lever in comparison. I used to use a gsxr 1000 so if you think your bm has lever issues try an old gsxr you

The actual braking is second to none . Brembo are world class . Just for some reason loads of riders having probs with 2017 mod and I?m one of them so I know it exists. My 2014 is fine.

Jay

If it's specifically a trait that is affecting 17 MY bikes, I wonder if it has something to do with ABS Pro (aka cornering ABS)?

You could always test that by either using Slick mode or setting the ABS to Slick within User Mode?

The actual braking is second to none . Brembo are world class . Just for some reason loads of riders having probs with 2017 mod and I’m one of them so I know it exists. My 2014 is fine.

Jay
Oh, the braking itself is brilliant! I am not disputing it. It is just a little bit annoying that the lever travel is quite big and once the brakes bite, it is immediately quite hard. Yesterday I had to stop for a car that pulled in front of me, and despite it was relatively slow speed smashed my ball on the tank.

I have a 16 plate with 6k on the clock. I can almost get the lever back to the bar under very heavy braking. Had it checked at the dealer; no air in the system, fluid changed. got adjuster 1 off maximum. I've thought about a brembo master cylinder loads of times, but this only happens when I've hammered it half to death and been really giving brakes some grief... About to put new pads in, just need to decide what's best....

I have a 16 plate with 6k on the clock. I can almost get the lever back to the bar under very heavy braking. Had it checked at the dealer; no air in the system, fluid changed. got adjuster 1 off maximum. I've thought about a brembo master cylinder loads of times, but this only happens when I've hammered it half to death and been really giving brakes some grief... About to put new pads in, just need to decide what's best....

Mines no-where near that,('15) doesn't seem to be a problem on the racing scene either.... I went to brembo 604hh's, found them plenty good enough for road and track days.

Latest posts

Back